Why aren't there more stainless steel flashlights?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know stainless is heavier than aluminium, but surely a 2 x CR123A and smaller flashlights would still be pretty lightweight in stainless (thinking 1 x AA upto 1 x 18650 sized flashlights). Is there any other reason why you don't see them?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know stainless is heavier than aluminum, but surely a 2 x CR123A and smaller flashlights would still be pretty lightweight in stainless (thinking 1 x AA upto 1 x 18650 sized flashlights). Is there any other reason why you don't see them?

they weigh a good amount. I just got myself a single cr123 light made of stainless
and it is a chunk 'o metal... no way to hide the heft.

plus corrosion plus less heat transfer plus harder to machine = limited production

vali

Enlightened
That about covers it.
Tooling costs, time, weight, heat dissipation.

Sure do look great though!

I agree too.

About rusting SS there was a thread about it some time ago:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?265631-salt-water-effects-on-Flashlights....

Resuming: There is no only one type of SS. Some of them will be very hard to rust (negligible in flashlights).

Check this one too:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?193824-Found-a-barbolight-submerged-for-13000-hrs

Compare a HAIII Al with SS in a hostile environment. I think durability is not a concern with SS.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to wonder the same thing. But today, I wouldn't buy a stainless light myself. Too heavy and for no good reason. Remember, many lights today are hard anodized so are quite tough to scratch or dent, and many have stainless bezels. I wouldn't even buy a titanium light - and for the same reasons. Heavy, more costly, and the only benefit is its shinier.

Also, with the hi-power LEDs today, we need more heat transfer, not less. So now with stainless, we get a heavier light for our EDC pockets, a more expensive light in a poor economy, and it makes the LED run hotter and with a shorter life span. The outside of the light would be shinier but the light output would eventually be dimmer.

Shinier but dimmer and heavier or....black/gray but brighter. I know which one I'm going with.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're real pretty even though honestly too heavy to carry everyday. I got a stainless Ultrafire 503b, kinda hard to find but Manafont sells it. I'm really happy with it only because of the rarity of it. But I put a nice XP-G module in it, foil wrapped the module cause stainless already has poor thermal conductivity, polished mine up to a mirror finish. Then put it on the shelf cause that's about all they end up being is nice conversation pieces when people look and go "SHINEEEEy!"

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
Stainless steel lights make great keychain lights. I keep an ITP A3 EOS SS on my keychain and it still looks as new as the first day I bought it.

vali

Enlightened
Stainless steel lights make great keychain lights. I keep an ITP A3 EOS SS on my keychain and it still looks as new as the first day I bought it.

I agree with you. Something bigger than a Quark MiNi AA would be too heavy and using AA or AAA shouldn't make the led to overheat as keychain lights use not to be pushed to the limits.

Latest posts