L2 with 2xRCR123s?

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Anyone know if the Surefire L2 Lumamax can run with 2 AWRCR123's? Just got one and I love the guy but it won't fit a 17670 and it looks like itd be tricky to bore. I just hate using primaries.

And how does this thing not get more attention? What a wonderful light. Built like a tank. The 15 lumen low is awesome and the L4 style wall of light is just a real nice flood. And that great tailcap? What a light. I have it on the MP but am seriously considering keeping it.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two...and yes, they are very awesome lights...one of SF most underrated/under apprecited lights for sure. What's not to love about an essentially two stage L4? People have just gotten too picky with the "lumen race". The 18 hours runtime on low is more than adequate for a gp light. As for your question, no, the L2 should not be ran on 2xRC's. You will fry the Lux-V emitter in no time. What you can do however, is run it off 1 RCR123 and a spacer. The runtime won't be all that great, but it will provide usable light. The SF spacer was discontinued awhile ago, but you can get one over at oveready.

Hope this helps! And congrats on aquiring one of SF gems...don't ever sell it...you will A) Regret it and B) It will be VERY hard to get one here in the next year or two.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Haha yes AOW, you're one of the reasons I got it. I have read your praise of it a few times on here. That's a good idea with the spacer I dont know why I didnt think of that. I already have one to charge my rcr's in my Pila. Ill try that now.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Ya good idea. Just a little pricey with those 3.0 volt rcrs. Have to get a special charger to charge them too. I didn't spend 50 bucks on a Pila to not be able to charge batteries! Oh well.

The closest thread I can find related to the L2 and RCR123's is this:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/printthread.php?t=89860

Looks like the driver is set up for 6 volts max input, so I would be wary. May be able to use LiFePO4's, though.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a 14670 and a bit of tape wrapped round it to stop the rattle. (this is how I run mine)
Or attack the insides with a bit of dowel and sandpaper. (I was going to do this, till I got the 14670)

The L2 is a pretty cool light, I would love to see what it could do with an MCE or other new led in it

seattlite

Enlightened
2 x 3.7V RCR123's will not work in the L2. You will fry the electronics.

However, MY L2's Lux V head works GREAT with 2 x 3.7V RCR123's using an E-series body/tailcap. Note that I emphasized MY L2's Lux V head.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Is this because the electronics in the L2 are in the body and not the head?

2 x 3.7V RCR123's will not work in the L2. You will fry the electronics.

However, MY L2's Lux V head works GREAT with 2 x 3.7V RCR123's using an E-series body/tailcap. Note that I emphasized MY L2's Lux V head.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this because the electronics in the L2 are in the body and not the head?

The electronics are in the body and tail-cap (if you include the resistor). I still wouldn't run a Lux-V on two RCR's...although the L6 is a 9V Lux-V, I'm not sure how the actual emitter is wired...that would be like running an L4 on two RCR's, which, while it will technically work, you will shorten the life DRAMATICALLY. With the long running low setting of the L2, there really is no reason to run it on RCR's and not primaries.

Hmmm...think I'll carry my L2 to work tonight :0)

Latest posts