Introducing two new Fenix Offerings: LD12 and LD22

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
201213194126884.jpg

LD12:
• Cree XP-G (R5) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Uses one 1.5V AA (Ni-MH, Alkaline ) battery
• 105mm (Length) x 21.5mm (Diameter)
• 54-gram weight (excluding battery and holster)
• Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
• Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
• Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
• Tactical tail cap switch with momentary-on function
• Side mode switch in the front
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

Notice: The above-mentioned parameters (tested by 2500mAh Ni-MH battery in Lab) are approximate and may vary between flashlights, batteries and environments.

IMPT NOTE: Fenix confirmed this LD12 will run a 14500 cell!

201213194815491.jpg

LD22:
• Cree XP-G (R5) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Uses two 1.5V AA (Ni-MH, Alkaline ) batteries
•156mm (Length) x 21.5mm (Diameter)
• 60-gram weight (excluding batteries and body clip)
• Digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness
• Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
• Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
• Push-button tail cap switch with momentary-on function
• Side mode switch in the front, fast and convenient
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened
I don't get the upgrade over the LD20 and the LD10 other than the side switch which isn't really necessary? No changes to output or design from what i see here...

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
Looks like better runtimes, momentary tactical switch and mode memory as well...

1anrm

Enlightened
Hmmm... this is interesting, still have my L1D, can't wait for reviews on this model.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a weird update: when I think of what I'd improve on the LD10, "add a switch on the side while leaving the one on the end" doesn't spring to mind.

Astro

Newly Enlightened
What a weird update: when I think of what I'd improve on the LD10, "add a switch on the side while leaving the one on the end" doesn't spring to mind.

I chose the Fenix PD32 as my first modern LED light precisely because of the side button interface. I agree it is far from ideal as on the PD32 with my hand size it makes it very difficult to operate with one hand - however the advantages are the memory, not having to loosen the head (which seems inelegant - and as I use the turbo modes the least, also makes one handed use difficult I would imagine, unless you leave the head loose which I don't think I would be comfortable with).

I probably would have opted for the LD22 had it been available, and now with a bit more experience, I think the LD12 might be great - because it is smaller you probably can operate both buttons with one hand.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Yeah I almost got the Klarus ST20 because of the side switch, I rarely carry my lights with my thumb on the back, a side switch for changing modes sounds more convenient. The new version of the Klarus has dual tail switches now. Which BTW even the old 2xAA Klarus lays the smack down at 240 ANSI lumens vs the 'new' Fenix. :shakehead Maybe they just be more conservative so people dont think the light is defective when they put it old crappy AA's and wonder why they cant get high. I dont use high a lot but I like to have it there when needed and a 2xAA that cant even hit 200 when my 1xAA can.... I think they need to step it up a notch yet.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, so the side switch is only for changing modes? You still have to use the tail switch to turn it on and off? If that's true, it's got to be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever seen for a flashlight.

Harry999

Enlightened
I think the tailcap is necessary to allow the planned momentary function. I am not aware of any light with a side switch which has a momentary function. If there is one please let me know someone - I would be interested!

blademan

Enlightened
LRI's Proton Pro has a momentary function. I have a klarus 1 aa ST 10 and I love it. The only down fall to me is the size.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
The side switch is such a better UI then twisting the head and holding the tail switch for a second to switch modes.

Can never get that right so a mode switch is important to me.

I keep an ld20 in my camera bag and the 22 will def replace it.

Thekapow

Newly Enlightened
this looks very good! i cant wait to get the ld12, the side button is just what i was looking for, im sick of all the manufactures trying to implement multimode interface into the tailcap which makes it impossible and unreliable to use..

royjohnson77

Newly Enlightened
It was Klarus who had the idea of a side switch on the bezel head of the flashlight first.
Klarus updated models and previous models no longer have the side switches any more and I wonder why?

Can you feel the side switch in the dark ? or can you feel the side switch with gloves on?

I was hoping Fenix would be more innovative and at least up-graded the LED.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why a side switch on such small lights? I can understand the TK41/50/60 and 70, but pocket lights with a side switch? Just another place things can go wrong, and how do you replace the rubber switch cover once it wears out (a concern I have with my TK41/60)?

Hey Fenix, why don't you build an AA EO5, that's something I'd buy!! 20ish lumens for 10 hours in a simple one mode twisty would be my ultimate EDC.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The basic concept is really more of a tactical decision.

People who do not need a tactical light will find this arrangement incomprehensible, as they will not see any way in which it could be an advantage.

People who want the tail switch to be momentary AND to not change the brightness or turn it on/off even, WANT there to be a separate way to turn the light on/off and/or change the modes.

This is primarily because in a tactical situation, say where you want the light to go off the instant you think you might be aimed at and you'll be diving for cover...you don't want to have to cycle through modes, twist the head, etc, to get the darn thing OFF.

You want to just let go of the momentary button, and dive for cover.

If you are not using the light in that scenario, then needing that kind of secondary on/off and mode change UI will not be relevant....OR desirable.