FOG!!

varmint

Enlightened
Tonight we are sacked in a heavy fog here, I tried my TN11 out in it, it was ok not real great, then the Derrelight with the XML, about the same as the TN11,,,,,, THEN I tried the Derrelight Asperical Lens and it cut right through it, I have never seen a beam like that especially in a fog before. It is like a big white laser beam.. After I came in I went out again just to look at the beam in the fog some more. I liked the asperical lens but tonight really got me as to what it would do. I am really glad to have it.

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
varmint, careful... you realize you're going down the slippery slope of flashaholism, don't you?

Getting excited about fog so you can see beam patterns is a sure sign my friend. Lock up your wallet now before it's too late.

varmint

Enlightened
Well it was worth it, I almost went out the 3rd time!! The beam shows so good in the fog.
My German Shepherd is mostly black in color and she almost disappeared in the fog, the Asp Lens found her instantly, her night run is about 125 m to her favorite 'spot' and there was no problem at all.

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firing a HID in heavy fog is impressive
Its changing from winter to spring over here, and usually the weather will become very humid
Sometime i can even say the visibility is less than 50-100 meter, even in a heavily-light-polluted city (because i live on a hill)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
not surprising,
the nonexistant spill light with the aspheric - in normal use (for my taste) quite annoying - does not blind You when there is fog / heavy dust around.
In this special use, thats a plus

mbw_151

Enlightened
Lack of spill is normally a handicap, but in fog, snow or smoke a really tight beam pattern like an aspheric or a TIR is just the ticket. I have an older Malkoff M60W with a TIR that lives in my boat for just such a purpose.