Help with 1D build

tattoosteve99

Newly Enlightened
So I'm liking the the 1D size best of all. What I'm wanting is the triple XML drop in from Der Wichtel sale thread. How can I make this work in a 1D size. Tri bore, quad bore, battery adapters? Can some one direct/help me out here. Thanks.

CKOD

Enlightened
If youre using derwitchtel's driver, youre going to need 4 lithium rechargeables in series to power it. So youre looking at IMR14500 (AA size) cells in a battery holder. IMR because if you'll be drawing 2+A from the batteries, and thats more than normal protected cells could provide. If you can go to a bit longer, you can also look for IMR14650 cells, if you can put together a battery holder for them.

CKOD

Enlightened
Most likely you will need to bore out the light to use a quad holder. Get the holder and batteries squared away first so you can send it in when you get the light machined so it can be sized to fit appropriately, or at least measured to know how much to bore it. And that DX driver requires at least 6V in (listed as 6-18V in) so youre still looking at a multicell setup. If you want to use a single cell and triple XM-L youre probably going to have to parallel them, add low value series resistors and use an IMR 26650 cell. You could also use a SST-50 in direct drive without resistors. They have a higher forward voltage than the XM-L, hence the XM-L needing resistors. Search around and see what you can find for direct drive setups.

I have a triple P7 mag with a der witchtel kit, and use a 4S Li-Ion 18650 pack stuffed into a 2.5D dual bored mag light, and the DW driver will work, if youre sporting 4x li-ion cells it should work, but in a 1D, youre going to need IMR cells.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If youre using derwitchtel's driver, youre going to need 4 lithium rechargeables in series to power it. So youre looking at IMR14500 (AA size) cells in a battery holder. IMR because if you'll be drawing 2+A from the batteries, and thats more than normal protected cells could provide. If you can go to a bit longer, you can also look for IMR14650 cells, if you can put together a battery holder for them.

Won't four AA NiMH batteries in series also work (unless the Volts is not high enough)?

I read somewhere it can provide up to 7A. The NiMH batteries in AA format have more stored energy - up to 2600mAH per battery - more than the 14500 lithiums.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't four AA NiMH batteries in series also work (unless the Volts is not high enough)?

I read somewhere it can provide up to 7A. The NiMH batteries in AA format have more stored energy - up to 2600mAH per battery - more than the 14500 lithiums.
no it wont, 4aa can not provide enough volts (not even close) for 3x xml even in dd.
stored energy is mesured in wh, capacity is mesured in mah, while some AA can pull 7a they are rare and their capacity is less than 2000mah, 14500 has 900mah at 3,7v a nimh aa with capacity 2200mah, and 1,2v has 2,6wh, vs 14500 3,3wh, so 14500 has more energy stored.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm liking the the 1D size best of all. What I'm wanting is the triple XML drop in from Der Wichtel sale thread. How can I make this work in a 1D size. Tri bore, quad bore, battery adapters? Can some one direct/help me out here. Thanks.
you need quadbore tube, amd 4x 14500 holder, but they have to be imr cells, regular li ion 14500 will not be able to provide enough current.

even with imr your runtime will be pbly 5 -10 min, good wow light, but very impractical.
i know someone did 1d 3xxml, but he wired leds in parralel and used 26650imr with stack of 7135 chips as driver. this way easier, and you got more energy longer runtime. but it still was not very practical light

Last edited:

CKOD

Enlightened
even with imr your runtime will be pbly 5 -10 min, good wow light, but very impractical.
i know someone did 1d 3xxml, but he wired leds in parralel and used 26650imr with stack of 7135 chips as driver. this way easier, and you got more energy longer runtime. but it still was not very practical light.

Any mag with 30W of power in a standard mag body wont be practical ;) On high my 3x P7 light gets excessively hot somewhere in the 5-15 minute time frame depending on ambient temp and how much airflow is over the head. So hopefully he wont be battery limited off of a fresh charge.

Also, with a 4/6 mode der-witchtel driver he can turn it down. My 3xP7 light is used at the 25% or 3% setting most the time. Which could turn it from completely impractical to useable. The DW driver would be easier then trying to fit 3x multimode amc driver boards under the heatsink, or stacking 2 AMC chips on top of the existing ones on a 2800mA board. The triple stack of chips would be a workable solution though, if done nicely and the chips were secured with epoxy for additional stability, provided drivers will fit into the heatsink's opening.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any mag with 30W of power in a standard mag body wont be practical ;) On high my 3x P7 light gets excessively hot somewhere in the 5-15 minute time frame depending on ambient temp and how much airflow is over the head. So hopefully he wont be battery limited off of a fresh charge.

Also, with a 4/6 mode der-witchtel driver he can turn it down. My 3xP7 light is used at the 25% or 3% setting most the time. Which could turn it from completely impractical to useable. The DW driver would be easier then trying to fit 3x multimode amc driver boards under the heatsink, or stacking 2 AMC chips on top of the existing ones on a 2800mA board. The triple stack of chips would be a workable solution though, if done nicely and the chips were secured with epoxy for additional stability, provided drivers will fit into the heatsink's opening.
i have 3xp7 (DWkit) and i find it extreamly practical, i run it at 70% or less most of the time, it does get hot, but not as hot as on 100%. i run it on 4x 32650. it is heavy\long, but when i'm outdoors in the woods, this is the light i use 80% of the time.

DW driver drives leds in series, stack of 7135 will allow it to run in parallel from 1 26650 (or imr18650, or 32650), i never mentioned 3 mode drivers, nor dw heatsink, on that particular 3 xml light, 3x 8amc chips board sandwich doesn't take a lot of room, and no epoxy needed.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
no it wont, 4aa can not provide enough volts (not even close) for 3x xml even in dd.
stored energy is mesured in wh, capacity is mesured in mah, while some AA can pull 7a they are rare and their capacity is less than 2000mah, 14500 has 900mah at 3,7v a nimh aa with capacity 2200mah, and 1,2v has 2,6wh, vs 14500 3,3wh, so 14500 has more energy stored.

Thank you for your answer. Another question:

For a mag 1D build, what is the best all-around battery or batteries when using one high power LED at 4-5A? I assume one 32650?

Thanks.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your answer. Another question:

For a mag 1D build, what is the best all-around battery or batteries when using one high power LED at 4-5A? I assume one 32650?

Thanks.

i wouldn't use 32650, i have 2 kinds of protected 32650, and they really don't like to be discharged at more than 3A, they sag too much, i would think at this rate they have a lot less capasity than rated, there were unprotected 32600 those were rated 10A, but i have not seen them lately, plus we don't really know who made them.
for what you need, i would use 26650, 3600mah rated 18A. whenever you choose cell, try not to use one where your current draw will be at or near its limit.
it will perform better , live longer at half the load it can push out.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again for your answer. One more question:

Does anyone know how the FM 4AA differs with a 32650 battery? Are they roughly the same or is one bigger? When it comes to bore diameter, I assume the FM 4AA requires boring a 1D while a 32650 does not. I don't know about lengthwise though. Is the FM 4AA longer than the 32650? Thanks.

tattoosteve99

Newly Enlightened
Help again! I got a single XML and the works but doesn't. The light comes on but when it clicks to actual on position the light goes off? What's going on here? Help please