Surefire E1B vs the new EB1

brianna

Enlightened
The Surefire E1B is 110 lumen's. The new model EB1 will be 200 lumen's. Will I be able to see a significant brightness difference between the two models?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1B puts out 110 lumens and has <4,000 lux. EB1 is supposed to do 200 lumens and will have ~10,000 lux. This means that EB1 will have the same performance as current-generation LX2 Lumamax.

So, yes, you will see a significant difference in performance.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
EB1, schmeee-bee-one...I want my LX1!!!!

Get the EB1 "Tactical" model. It's supposed to have the two-stage LOTC like the Lumamax series, as opposed to the regular "clicky" EB1 which will have the interface of E1B.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohhhhh Reeaaallllyyy......................:)

I see a new Surefire in my future.

radu1976

Enlightened
E1B puts out 110 lumens and has <4,000 lux. EB1 is supposed to do 200 lumens and will have ~10,000 lux. This means that EB1 will have the same performance as current-generation LX2 Lumamax.

So, yes, you will see a significant difference in performance.

Who said that EB1 puts 10,000 lux ?? I don't think we will see such throw, I will be happy if it will have the same throw with E1B - but brighter sidespill and larger hotspot due to the XP-G/XM-L used -
Did SUREFIRE state that EB1 will throw 200m ?? 200 x 200 x 0.25lux/m = 10,000 lux.
Selfbuilt tested an E1B and at the beginning the light was putting around 5,000 lux .

Mojer

Newly Enlightened
Surefire EB1 vs E1B?

I know that there is a difference of 90 lumens between these two lights. Is it expected that this will be a noticable difference? Thanks for any input as I am wondering if it is worth spending another $50 for the latest Surefire Backup.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire EB1 vs E1B?

I know that there is a difference of 90 lumens between these two lights. Is it expected that this will be a noticable difference? Thanks for any input as I am wondering if it is worth spending another $50 for the latest Surefire Backup.

As a (very rough) guideline, a doubling of the output in lumens is visually noticeable, though appears minimal, all other things being equal ... so yes, a side-by-side comparison of 110 vs 200 lumens is likely "noticeable"....

It may also bear noting that the standards for measuring and advertising lumen ratings have significantly changed over time.

Last edited:

brianna

Enlightened

I have compared the two in person. It is a little brighter but nothing to get excited about. If you want the latest and greatest yes it may be worth it then. I was not supposed to be playing with it so I was only able to do a fast ceiling bounce test in a small bathroom.

bronxy

Newly Enlightened

Has anyone been able to conduct more test? or a better comparison?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The eb1 is using a cree xp-e. Not an xp-g or xm-l. With a larger optic (more collimation possible) and the same size die the throw will be greater. As others have said about twice the lux of the e1b. However as shown in the eb1 thread, due to its use of an ooder and less efficient emitter regulation is poor. Its about the limit of what a single cr123 can reasonably provide.

DimmerD

Enlightened

I have compared the two in person. It is a little brighter but nothing to get excited about. If you want the latest and greatest yes it may be worth it then. I was not supposed to be playing with it so I was only able to do a fast ceiling bounce test in a small bathroom.

Sounds like someone is checking out their Christmas present early! ;)