SL35 bulb in a SL20X Body vs UltraStinger???

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need your help on digesting some technical information. I hear you mention that you will put the bulb of a SL35 into the head of a SL20X for a better beam performance. Why not just keep the SL35 as is which comes with the 20 Watt Halogen Bulb rated at a 90 minute runtime. What are the advantages of buying the SL20X over the SL35 other than the longer length of the SL35. I didn't notice if there was a big difference in price? Also, is the beam that is produced that much better than the UltraStinger? After all, the UltraStinger is rated at 75k CP versus the 40k of the other setup. It is close to being twice as brilliant yet people like the SL20X with the SL35 bulb swear that it is that much better, I just don't understand...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If a person already has a SL20, then installing the 35X bulb will at least double the overall output of the light. We are talking many, many lumens gain over 20X bulb, in a shorter lighter flashlight. The beam throw of the 35X bulb is at least as far as the UltraStinger, with much more light in that beam. Run time of 35X in SL 20X will be about 1/2 as much as stock bulb. Believe me, the gain in light is significient. Another reason to go with a SL bulb set up is the sturdiness of the reflector/bulb unit, tested over time by many police departments. and if I remember right it is quaranteed for 6 months.

Bill

phyhsuts

Enlightened
Depends on what you consider "better". I use the SL35 for midium range work and it is really good. Lots of output, reasonable run time (rather good if you have 5 of those 9 Ah NIMH cells!), can be operated continuously without fear of heat damage. But it has poor reach. The 10W US beats it comprehensively. So I have both! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif (and lots and lot more besides!)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Otokoyama, you said the 35X (20 watt bulb) just edged out the 20XP (8 watt bulb) in brightness? Or did I read you wrong? I never tried the XP bulb, but replaced my older SL15, with an XP switch, and a 20X bulb. I do like the quality of the 20X beam.

Bill

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Bullzeyebill: Yes. I was surprised. The 35X (20 watt) puts out a big, broad beam close to a flood, but doesn't throw nearly like the 20X (10 watt) and barely outthrows the 20XP (8 watt). The reflectors all have a dull finish, and the resulting beams are, well, ugly. These results may not be representative, but it's what I got with the lamp modules that I had.

I just got a Magcharger. Now that throws, but the TigerLight throws almost as well and has a broader, more uniform beam.

sandman

Newly Enlightened
Is the magcharger brighter then a SL-20x with a SL-35X head in it.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I believe a SL-35X on a SL-20X is 20 watts just as it is on a SL-35X body since they're both running at 6 volts. The SL-35X body simply holds larger capacity batteries for more runtime.

The Magcharger claims 8.4 watts, but seems much brighter than the SL-35X and SL-20X, though has a narrower "spot" beam. I believe this is due to its superb reflector.

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
I have no graphs, beamshot pics, or technical proofs to offer. What I do have is the experience of carrying SL flashlights around for about 20 hours a week for the last ten years...

In my opinion, nothing can come close to the SL-20X/35X head for an exterior flashlight. The stock SL-35X is just too long for comfortable 4-hour-a-shift carry. The stock SL-20X just doesn't cut it beam-wise.

For me, the US's forte is indoor room and short passageway light-ups. Outdoors, however, the purported 75K CP is beamed out to the side-spill vice a nice, tight spot as is necessary for a 100-yard distant light-up of the far end of a parking lot, for example...

I do remember a few months ago that someone mentioned that there have been several "generations" of US's. In all fairness -- mine is one of the very first ones produced, so YMMV.

BTW, I'm really starting to like the Tigerlight FBOP but I can't find anything to carry it on a duty belt?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Just my 2¢. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sandman

Newly Enlightened
When running a SL-20x with a SL-35x head there will be loss in running time. Does any one know what the running time would be in that setup? Also can you buy a battery the will last longer.

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
...Run time of 35X in SL 20X will be about 1/2 as much as stock bulb. Believe me, the gain in light is significient...

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK, an 'extended' batt for the SL-20 is not available -- but I am not 'for sure' on that... OTOH, the US has an optional rapid-charger that comes in real handy for a quick refresh when needed.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
hyeTotum said: BTW, I'm really starting to like the Tigerlight FBOP but I can't find anything to carry it on a duty belt?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
If you check the TigerLight site, click the "Store" tab, then the "TigerLight Belt Holders" item, two basic types (leather and ring) are shown. If you're interested in something else (e.g. Kydex), I might be able to make it for you.

The flood beam such as put out by the 35X has advantages when you want the big picture.

The TigerLight FBOP combines good throw with a good spill. I believe the beam is due to the somewhat unusual reflector design. Add in a claimed 66-minute runtime in a short package, and the TigerLight is a nice package, though the FBOP may come up "short" in defensive contingencies.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
sandman, I would expect 1/2 run time in that set up, or about 40-45 minutes. 20X pulls 1.7A, 35X pulls 3.4A. 20X (1/2 D's) NiCd battery pack is rated at 2.4A. and 35X NiCd pack at 5A's (full D size). Powerstream sells NiMH 1/2 D's, I believe.

Bill