Malkoff M91W output?

silvery37

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a M91W from Malkoff. I put it in an Elzetta 3 cell body. To me the output seems kind of low. They arent the greatest but I took some pictures. I am wondering if this is the output I am supposed to be getting.

This is the M91W on top and a Klarus XT11 on medium mode (150 Lumens) on bottom

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

M91W on bottom Klarus XT11 on medium on top

On top the Klarus XT11 on High the M91W on bottom

I tried two different sets of new batteries and didnt see a difference.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do realize that you are comparing beam types that are so completely different that there can be no comparison between them, right?
A thrower vs a wide floodlight?
Really?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have M91W placed in a Surefire 9P. This dropin is my favorite all included. Just AWESOME tint and beam profile.
I use to compare my lights with a lightmeter and ceiling bounce test, which I think gives a pretty good estimation of the total output. M91W is definitely 400+ lumens.
But yes; that Klarus XT11 is an attractive light...

Last edited:

silvery37

Newly Enlightened
Here it is compared to a M61.

M61 on top and M91W on bottom. These should have the same or similar beam profiles right? I expected the M91 to be noticeably brighter than the M61.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 400+ lumens are there like the others have said. It's the difference in the beam types that changes percieved brightness.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
M61 on top and M91W on bottom. These should have the same or similar beam profiles right?

No, the M91 has a larger die with the XM-L than the XP-G die in the M61 and they have the same reflector. For whatever reason, Gene uses a reflector with a small aperture for the size of the head, it makes the M91 into a flood with little throw. The SF Fury and a Nailbender XM-L dropin both blow the M91 out of the water in my examples. I guess the extra light is there but if I need to see something in the back forty, I get better results with one of my M61's than one of my M91's. I have both the M91 and M91W and as advertised, the warm version puts out less light.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The m91 has more lumens than the m61. M61 has more lux. You can say that lux messures the intencity of the hotspot, how well the light is consentrated. Lumens is overall output. More lumens usually means less lux if the size of the reflector is the same on both lights.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Point both lights at the ceiling. Click one on, then turn it off and the other on. Ceiling bounce testing lets you compare throwers to flooders for output. It's still hard to compare different CCTs though.

Glock 22

Enlightened
I personally like the M91W. The warm tint makes everything look natural, and is not hard on your eyes like some of the cool tints. Yes it has a floody beam and that's one of it's great features. I like to see a wide view of what's in front of me. After getting a warm tint Malkoff module it's going to be real hard to suit me in anything else!

Last edited:

Tommygun45

Enlightened
The m91w is an awesome light. Sure the output doesn't seem like its that much, especially against a wall. However go outside and give it a whirl. It just lights up a massive area. I used it camping a few times and there is just no better light. Everything in my area is light up beautifully, rendered well, and it lasts a good while. Not to mention it will likely never die. I had an M91 and of course it was brighter, but I sold it because how nice the tint was of my W. And as a rule of thumb warm lights are always less output wise than cool lights, just how LED's work.

silvery37

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the help. everything makes sense now. the m91w isn't quite what I need so I will try to trade it for a m61.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried a couple of M91's. I prefer the M61's. The light output, even though less, is just as if not more useful and had better run time for me.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The triple is no thrower, it will light up everything in front of you up to ~40 meters. If you want throw, look for the old m60. There are better throwing p60 modules out there, but i dont know if they will fit the elzetta. The high lumen led's are brighter (more lumens) because they are bigger, but the led die "glows" less intense. Take a candle for example. You can light as many as you want, but it will never be blinding bright to look at. Everytime you light one up, you get a bigger surface that emits light. The smaller leds can be driven harder with ease, so it "glows brighter". It's also easy to focus a small lightsource (the bigger area that emitts light, the bigger reflector is needed to focus). If you want your small elzetta to throw, stay off the 1000 lumen stuff.

Last edited:

mbw_151

Enlightened
If you want 400-800 or more lumens of throw, you need a bigger reflector or a really fancy optic. Look at the Malkoff Hounddog XML or the M3LT as examples. You can't pack those front ends in an Elzetta.