Free Diffuser for NiteCore TM11 with Purchase of Pillsbury Orange Sweet Rolls

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a rather...well, serendipitous discovery while trying to create a diffuser for a ZebraLight H600. I've been trying to find something made of plastic like a milk jug that can be cut up for diffuser material without having the ugly yellow spot that typical milk jug plastic produces when used that way.

What I ended up finding in a near-accidental manner is a near-perfect diffuser naturally sized to fit exactly inside the bezel of the NiteCore TM11...and one that produces NO ugly yellow center spot in the beam.

For anyone interested, you'll need to invest about $1.99 (USD) in either Pillsbury Orange Sweet Rolls or Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls. You'll end up with a breakfast or brunch treat for the family and a diffuser for your TM11.

Here's what you need to buy:

pillsbury_orange_rolls_02_small.jpg

The "with Icing" part is the key, since the icing container that's inside with the rolls is where you get your diffuser. I'm pretty sure the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls also have the same translucent container, so buy according to your tastes.

Here's a shot of one of the empty containers and the diffusion disk that was cut from the bottom of another container (the entire bottom of the container is used, untrimmed except for cutting it away from the container sides).

120304-002_small.jpg
120304-003_small.jpg

The entire bottom end of the icing container can actually be pushed snugly into the bezel of the TM11 and used lamp style, although it is capable of putting out so much light as to be blinding. But it fits so well that the TM11 with batteries can be picked up by holding onto the lip of the container. It's that good a fit right out of the box (well, after washing the icing residue away). My personal intent is not to actually use it this way (not lamp style), but these two pics show how well the Pillsbury icing container fits inside the TM11 bezel...and that it can be used "lamp" style if desired...but the bottom disk of the container is the key piece for the diffuser.

120304-006_small.jpg
120304-007_small.jpg

All you need to do is take some small cutters and cut the sides of the container away from the bottom. This plastic is slightly thicker and slightly more brittle than the plastic from a milk jug (although brittle is a strong word, since it's not really breakably brittle, but gets little fracture marks if bent too severely). Standard scissors might be a bit difficult to use in cutting this material, but mostly because cutting angles are kind of tight in getting started. I used a kind of small snipper sort of like wire cutters or side cutters but with a rather narrow and short blades. Once you've cut the sides away, you can trim any excess from the bottom disk with nail clippers or small snips (whatever cutting tool you have that works). Do NOT trim anything away that decreases the diameter of the bottom disk. Trim away only the sides.

120304-019_small.jpg

The bottom disk can then be pressed directly into the bezel of the TM11. To remove it, you can either unscrew the bezel or in your trimming you can leave a small tab of the side plastic untrimmed so you can pull it out by hand. The fit will be so snug that getting a fingernail under it to remove it might be difficult, although a blade from a pocket knife or the like would work...but unscrewing the bezel is probably the way to go.

You don't need to unscrew the bezel to place the disk in (just press it right into the bezel). I show the following pics only for clarity and size reference.

120304-017_small.jpg
120304-016_small.jpg

The TM11 with diffuser inserted, and one of the original icing containers (again, just for visual reference).

120304-009_small.jpg

This inexpensive diffuser works great with the TM11 and with NO yellow spot as you get with the milk carton diffuser method. You might see a very slight hint of discoloration if you look carefully, but that's only for the white wall hunting purist. Personally, I see nothing in terms of true discoloration, especially in comparison to milk jug plastic. I'll try some wall shots later and add to this post for reference.

Hey, you get either free orange rolls or cinnamon rolls with this diffuser...or a free diffuser with the sweet rolls...depending on how you look at it.

Beamshots (distance of 20 feet from far waill, Canon 14mm lens used). First image without diffuser, second image with diffuser.

120411-004a.jpg

120411-003a.jpg

Last edited:

JudasD

Enlightened
YYEESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is brilliant!!!! Many thumbs up!!! :thumbsup: Thank you for posting this great find!! lovecpf

JD

mrlysle

Enlightened
YYEESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is brilliant!!!! Many thumbs up!!! :thumbsup: Thank you for posting this great find!! lovecpf

JD
Not sure if it's the sweet rolls or the diffuser! ROFL! Joking aside, great job varuscelli! I love diffusers on certain lights, and it seems what you've created would probably be as nice as the SF F04 we use on some of our smaller lights! BTW, we almost always have 5 or 6 of the Orange rolls in our fridge at home because my youngest son (and I) absolutely love those things!

JudasD

Enlightened
You mentioned unscrewing the bezel. What kind of tool did you use to do that? My bezel is on there pretty tight. I assume removing the bezel would allow the lens to fall out correct?
I just got back from the store. The orange rolls are cooking :D as soon as they are done and i use the icing then i will have my diffuser :naughty:

JD

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Funny -- we used to have orange rolls at my grandparents house all the time as kids and young adults...but in the old days the icing container was made of metal. I guess at some point in recent years they went to a plastic container with a metal cap. I decided a few months ago (for the first time in many years) to get some orange rolls so I could show my daughter what we used to have as kids (she now loves them, too) and I started keeping the plastic containers for some reason...which led to one being at hand when I wanted to experiment with diffuser material for a ZebraLight. It was a great (and fortunate) coincidence that I tried it on the TM11 and it actually fit. It was even better when I saw it didn't show a big yellow blotch in the middle of the beam.

On the bezel question, I guess the first time you remove the bezel from the TM11 you might need to put some force into it. If it's really tight, I'd suggest one of those rubber jar lid removers if you have one in a kitchen drawer somewhere. I removed the bezel on mine just by hand, but I'm sure tightness varies. And YES -- the glass will fall out if you're not careful...but removing the bezel seems to be the easiest way to remove the diffuser. As I mentioned, you could make the diffuser in such a way as to leave a small tab of plastic from the side of the container as a pull tab to remove the diffuser without removing the bezel. Or if you keep a pocket knife or some other multi-tool with you as EDC, there would be lots of implements you could use to readily pry the diffuser out. It fits a little too well for me to remove it with my fingernails (personally, that is -- maybe others would have better results).

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mentioned unscrewing the bezel. What kind of tool did you use to do that? My bezel is on there pretty tight. I assume removing the bezel would allow the lens to fall out correct?
I just got back from the store. The orange rolls are cooking :D as soon as they are done and i use the icing then i will have my diffuser :naughty:

JD

Hey, JD -- I'm curious as to whether you made your diffuser and (if so) what your thoughts are on its performance. Any feedback?

JudasD

Enlightened
I am still fiddling with it. I got two packs of rolls and both diffusers were a bit too big to fit on the light. In the picture where you are holding up the light by the diffuser; i was not able to fully insert the diffuser in this way. I had to trim the sides off and make the diameter of the disc a bit smaller as well. This mode does work as a diffuser. I am trying to figure out how to carve it down a bit so i can use it lamp style. I think the end result will work out great. It's just a matter of tweaking it to make it perfect :D

Thanks again for the tip,
JD

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I wonder if the specifications for manufacturing those containers are a bit loose and that they might not all be made to exactly the same size? That's probably not the case, but you never know.

On the ones I used, if I try to insert the entire container ("lamp" style), it's a tighter fit and a harder to do...but as shown in the photos, I was able to do that.

But on the cut-out end, it's an easy fit since the end disk will flex a bit as it's inserted. Thus, the cut-out end is easier to insert than the entire container. I think that if trying to insert the container as a whole, the sides of the container keep the bottom disk from being able to easily flex into place within the bezel. The cut-out disc by itself should go into place easily without any trimming as far as diameter goes.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not believe you. this thread is fake and posted by a robot.

Evidence you say ?

here:
QUOTE:"It's that good a fit right out of the box (well, after washing the icing residue away)."

NO HUMAN I KNOW WASHES FROSTING AWAY. YOU LICK IT. UNLESS YOU ARE A ROBOT. AMIRITE ?

we've almost been duped, but I got 'em. i got 'em good :twak:

Last edited:

JudasD

Enlightened
For me the closed end almost fits, but it is extremely tight. So much so that it feels like i am going to break something if i try to force it in. The open end doesn't fit at all. It wont even begin to fit. The open end actually tapers out to a larger size than the closed end! if you look from the side you will see the taper point. It is a definite step up in size. I suppose it is possible that we are dealing with two different sizes. One thing i did notice is that the sweet rolls that we have here (California) look just like the ones you pictured with one exception. There is a small blob that says "Cinnabon" below the word icing. Cinnabon is a popular shopping-mall sweets chain that you might not have in your area. I would think that this is only a marketing difference, but i suppose the internals could also be modified. :shrug:

JD

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
QUOTE:"It's that good a fit right out of the box (well, after washing the icing residue away)."

NO HUMAN I KNOW WASHES FROSTING AWAY. YOU LICK IT. UNLESS YOU ARE A ROBOT. AMIRITE ?

OK, I admit that I should have said "after handing it to my 10-year-old daughter"...after which it is returned to me as though dishwasher clean. I can no longer get away with licking the icing away myself without conflict erupting within the household. Plus, I have to put on the appearance of creating a pristine diffuser, lest OSHA or the FDA complain about questionable sanitary preparations.

:nana:

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I admit that I should have said "after handing it to my 10-year-old daughter"...after which it is returned to me as though dishwasher clean. I can no longer get away with licking the icing away myself without conflict erupting within the household. Plus, I have to put on the appearance of creating a pristine diffuser, lest the OSHA or the FDA complain about questionable sanitary preparations.

:nana:

yup...using big words...big acronyms...just like a robot...told ya :D

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the closed end almost fits, but it is extremely tight. So much so that it feels like i am going to break something if i try to force it in. The open end doesn't fit at all. It wont even begin to fit. The open end actually tapers out to a larger size than the closed end! if you look from the side you will see the taper point. It is a definite step up in size. I suppose it is possible that we are dealing with two different sizes. One thing i did notice is that the sweet rolls that we have here (California) look just like the ones you pictured with one exception. There is a small blob that says "Cinnabon" below the word icing. Cinnabon is a popular shopping-mall sweets chain that you might not have in your area. I would think that this is only a marketing difference, but i suppose the internals could also be modified. :shrug:

JD

Yeah, on the containers I have the open end won't fit either. It's too large at the top, as you mentioned tapering to a larger diameter than the bottom.

On the package of Pillsbury Orange Rolls I get from the store here, the word Cinnabon is also on the package, so I think we're using the same brand (the original Pillsbury package photo I showed was just an image I got from the internet as a brand example).

But do try cutting the disk from the bottom of one of the containers. It should work for you (again, the "flexing" of the disk should allow it to be very easily pushed into place).

And again, on using the entire container as a lamp-style diffuser, it can be a bit blinding since it throws light everywhere. The cut out and inserted disk keeps the direction and diffusion of the light under better control.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup...using big words...big acronyms...just like a robot...told ya :D

I guess my avatar gave me away. :whistle:

Plus, I did come from NASA (which actually stands for the National Acronym Society of America).

Last edited:

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, thanks for the great write-up varuscelli!

I will definitely try this method before investing in another screw-on Eagletac diffuser.Judging from the beamshot, it looks like it works great!

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, LitFuse -- and it does work exceptionally well for such a low-cost, homemade option.

And a point I made earlier in the thread, unlike diffusers some folks try to make with plastic milk cartons, the material from these canisters does NOT put a yellowish "spot" in the center area of the beam.

It's hard to tell in the beamshots I posted because of the yellowish tinted paint on the lower walls, but if you make one of these diffusers and shine it on a white wall you'll see what I mean about the absence of a yellowish spot caused by the diffuser.

jgray3690

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for such a cool idea.
My bonus is that my wife said that she has the rolls in the ref and
that she will fix them this morning so that i will have a new diffuser before noon.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you've had a chance to try it, please post back to the thread and let us know how it worked. I know this diffuser is working well for me (both in terms of bezel fit and performance), but I haven't seen any feedback from anyone else.

I hope the containers are all made to the same (exact) specifications so they're all an exact fit. A millimeter difference one way or the other could be the difference between and exact fit or one that's either too loose or too tight. I suspect they're all the same, but I have no idea about the manufacturing process for the containers and how strict the adherence to consistently exact diameter.