No Lithiums cells for mini-mag LED?

Robert C

Newly Enlightened
Picked up the new mini-mag LED (the 63 or 77 lumen model, depending on whether you are reading the front or back of the packaging ):oops:

Reading the insert it says Alkaline batteries only. That's fine for normal use but I keep a stash of energizer lithium cells for emergencies and would probably need to resort to them in a blackout. Would these cells fry the LED in these new mini-mags?

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
I'm semi new to the forum and flashaholic lifestyle, I'm learning everyday on here so I may be wrong but here's what I read about lihium battery's-Battery chemistry and construction differ in the two systems. Since lithium is a very active material, it provides a great deal of power relative to the amount of material used in a battery. The lithium discharge curve is longer and flatter than alkaline, providing a consistently higher voltage throughout the life of the battery. If a alkaline has 1.5 volts and the lithium has 1.5 volts, then I don't see any harm. If I'm wrong forgive my ignorince, and sum1 please help me understand the difference

wheel

Newly Enlightened
I would be very interested in this also. I have always used energizer lithium AA's in the minimags I keep in my car a tool box, but the lights were not LED. I am waiting on the minimag pro led and had planned on using the lithium cells. I noticed on the the AA Alkaline only on the package also.

itguy07

Newly Enlightened
I've got a 3xaaa real cheap light from Home Depot that also has a similar warning. My guess is that there is nothing thriving these lights other than the LED and a resistor. So they are relying on the fact that Alkalines don't deliver large amounts of current and sag under use to protect the LED and resistor.

I plan on running Eneloops or other LDS batteries in the ones from Home Depot. They are for the cars so won't see much heavy use and I don't really care about longevity.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be very interested in this also. I have always used energizer lithium AA's in the minimags I keep in my car a tool box, but the lights were not LED. I am waiting on the minimag pro led and had planned on using the lithium cells. I noticed on the the AA Alkaline only on the package also.

They'd better!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally speaking, you will be fine with using Energizer Advanced or Ultimate Lithium batteries in any regulated light, and for one- or two-cell lights, you'll also get an additional output boost.

For Maglites, it's alkaline-only for warranty purposes, and the only concern with 1.5V lithium primaries would be additional heat from the extra output.

SlimJim16v

Newly Enlightened
This also worried me with a Fenix. I think it's to stop you using the ? 3.7v batteries. Energiser Lithium AAs do measure at 1.7v, so might overdrive slightly.

Do Maglite give a working range in volts?

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Energizers will be fine I have ran them in my TK20 and Mag and in a LD20. You guys are worried about heat and the light only puts out 77lm.

2 14500 lith-ions would be a no no.

Last edited: