WAS i DREAMING?

budynabuick

Enlightened
Did I read on here that there is a light that would give two beams (flood, throw)? Is there such a light OR was I dreaming? There was a time i dreamed about women.....but flashlights:sick2:
Keith

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did I read on here that there is a light that would give two beams (flood, throw)? Is there such a light OR was I dreaming? There was a time i dreamed about women.....but flashlights:sick2:
Keith
Search for the legendary "Surefire A2"

budynabuick

Enlightened
Search for the legendary "Surefire A2"[/QUOTe

Thanks much! I did read it. That is the one. It was a little scary thinking I was dreaming about lights. I know i am 60 but dreaming about lights? I WILL look into this light as it sounds perfect. Also, this light did not sound like a typical focusable light but some other feature that allowed for throw & flood. Thanks again.

Keith, who shall go back to dreaming about women now

Last edited:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Others (but more pricy) include:

* McGizmo's Lunasol 20 and Lunasol 27.
* Data's Tri-V.
* If we want to diverge a bit, Ahorton's headlamps

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
A2 is deceased and her(yes, shes a queen) sucessor is A2L Aviator, another dual beam light is AZ2 combatlight
Hybrid of A2 and Z2, in led version

budynabuick

Enlightened
Others (but more pricy) include:

* McGizmo's Lunasol 20 and Lunasol 27.
* Data's Tri-V.
* If we want to diverge a bit, Ahorton's headlamps

Yes, I looked at the SF and while it is dicon, i have a friend that works at Cabellas and they have it (he gets a big discount). But now that i see the name Lumasol, THAT IS THE ONE I read about since I had never heard of it. I will go look at that. this light is appealing with me as it does not appear too be a run of the mill focus adjustable light. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Keith

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Focusable light only worsen the beam, not perfecting it, quote from Surefire's catalog, long time ago
Abberation produced by aspheric lens(used by focusable lights) is disturbing and the beam profile isnt nice, bad lights have saturn rings and it waste lotta output due to large focal length
Unless it is a perfectly designed(like death edc), otherwise aspheric-non-focusable lights would be bad too

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The LED Lenser T7 has a sliding head that goes from spot to flood, one handed.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
The diffuser blind spot strikes again!

Any Surefire standard light (E and clones, 6P and clones, ...) can take Surefire diffusers which can change a light that is strong on throw into a pure flood.

The larger sizes (1.25" heads and up) can get diffusers with springs, so you can keep them closed for flood or flick them open (which you can do single handedly) for throw. Leaving them on also protects the light from dust or other intrusions when you store it somewhere with other items or when transporting it in a bag or case.

Frankly, if you have trouble with diffusers for some reason, rather than getting an expensive specialized flood-plus-throw light, you are much better off getting a big throw light that you are comfortable with, and carrying a 1xAAA light on your keychain that can do flood. After all, you need flood at close distance, and it's useful to have a backup anyways.

The flood-plus-throw light is a solution for a problem that does not exist!

Note--similar comments apply for the need for "super low" lumen outputs! Why worry about this when the same 1xAAA backup light can put out your 2-3 lumens (depending on the model)? This means you can get excellent solutions, such as a 2-stage Malkoff drop in with 80-600, or 60-230 lumens settings, and just use the 1xAAA for those times when super low lumen outputs are indeed helpful.

I could say the same about red light, but there actually you can get more efficiency by a specialized red LED flashlight, so at least there is an argument to have that available either as a specialized 2nd or 3rd light, or some kind of normal LED plus secondary LED specialized light (new Surefire anglehead...).

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
This means you can get excellent solutions, such as a 2-stage Malkoff drop in with 80-600, or 60-230 lumens settings, and just use the 1xAAA for those times when super low lumen outputs are indeed helpful.
I visualize an Elzetta with a Photon Freedom duct-taped to the side...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I said, the T7 does it....and its cheap.

Slide the head forward and its a spot, back its a flood, one finger/one handed operation, and its continuously variable in spot/flood, wherever you stop sliding it. On full spot, its a tight beam, on full flood, its a broad gentle pool of light. It also has a hi/low for the lumen output, so you can make the spot, or the flood, brighter or darker as well.

Easy solution.

:D

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I visualize an Elzetta with a Photon Freedom duct-taped to the side...

Funny!

But the uses for super-low lumen output are different than for powerful lights, with decent sized reflectors.

Most people who say they "need" these super-low lumen outputs say something like this: I want to walk around (the house, outdoors, whatever) with my dark-adapted vision intact. Then the super-low lumen does the job of getting me around.

OK, great. Where in that scenario does the powerful flashlight come into the picture? It doesn't.

You use either one, or the other. Once you use the powerful lumen flashlight, there is no point to go back to the super-low lumen light, you've lost your dark-adapted vision.

So it's no problem to have both of these with you and if one or the other becomes necessary, you won't need to carry one in one hand and the other in the other hand--or one taped on the other!