Do you ever wonder what you're going to do with all those flashlights?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have way more flashlights than I'll ever use. Now I don't have a huge collection, but it is more than I need. I keep thinking I need to sell some of them, but I love them all. I've got my collection down to some nice lights that are all very good, and despite that I don't use half of them, I keep finding reasons to keep them. LOL

I guess they call that being a flashaholic....or Light Hoarder.

DimSum

Newly Enlightened
I have way more flashlights than I'll ever use. Now I don't have a huge collection, but it is more than I need. I keep thinking I need to sell some of them, but I love them all. I've got my collection down to some nice lights that are all very good, and despite that I don't use half of them, I keep finding reasons to keep them. LOL

I completely understand this situation and have encountered it with other hobbies. My GF caught me looking at this forum and later last evening mentioned that she would appreciate me not getting too carried away with this "flash light thing!"
- considering that she is expecting a ring soon!

Best,
DS

Gorram

Newly Enlightened
I knew if I visited this site long enough, someone would ask this question....:whistle:

I tend to think that we all posses the collecting impulse, some just focus on a single type of kit.

Right now I lust after a new light, knife, ham radio.... I could go on.

If you were being purely rhetorical, please accept my appologys! :duh2:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher

You have all those lights for SHTF scenarios. Don't worry about it I've got around 10 lights myself and never really use all of them, but i've got some well hidden and others that i EDC...keep 2 in your car, a pocket size and a larger light, keep 3 at home for just in case, EDC 5 for backups to your backups to your....etc you get the picture :D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its like any other tool in your tool box.

Do you only have one sized wrench?

Socket?

Screwdriver?

Do you USE ALL of them all the time?

Do you say to yourself, hmmm, I have not used that 14 mm socket in a long time, I should get rid of it?

or

If you are a stamp collector, do you say, hmmm, I doubt I'll ever mail anything now that I have email...maybe I should get rid of them?

How often do you really LOOK at those paintings on your walls, are you wondering if maybe you should get rid of them?

And so forth.

:D

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...technically speaking, the sun will die eventually...I figure a rocket and handful of incan Surefires should get it fired back up :0)

Really though, beyond liking them, I've gotten mine spread out between EDC, SHTF, Camping, Caving, and Rescue lights. So, all mine either get used, or I plan on using them for something.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm actually working on starting some newer hobbies so I can find at least one use for each light...

Elkbow

Newly Enlightened
same way here, i give them away to my friends after i don't use them anymore

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm actually working on starting some newer hobbies so I can find at least one use for each light...

Caving

Diving

Nocturnal Bird Watching

Scorpion Hunting

Herpetology

Chiropterology

bobbagum

Newly Enlightened
In an ideal world, I would love to have lights distributed around the house, in my bags, luggage, clothes, cars and bikes, in fact, among everything that I'll likely be caught in when I need a light or for emergency situations, so that I'll never be caught without a light.

I'd like to think of my emergency planning as imagining turning up at my front door naked, how will I get in the house? same with lights... what if I'm locked inside the bathroom in a blackout... leave one light under the sink. What if the kitchen's on fire right now and the power's out, I just can't run out and grab a light, so leave one in a bracket on the wall next to the fire extinguisher.

I even have a few thin button cells light hidden away in my wallet and jackets that I'd forgotten about and it's too cheap for me to seek it out to play with and run down the battery or got it lost... so there're probably a few more lights around me in an emergency than I'd imagine, and that's a reassuring thought that should something really bad happens and I'd lost my edc and even the backup there'll be some lights around.

At least lights aren't heavy, I am uncomfortable driving in my cars or bikes without tools, what if I needed to check a spark plug? torque wrench... what if I need to loosen that big bolt? a breaker bar... soon I'd have a whole snap on toolchest strapped to a trailer on the back of my truck... and you know what, when the truck breakdown, the most likely scenario'll be me calling the towtruck anyway.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
In real life, I DON'T have a light stashed everywhere in the house, car, etc.....mostly in my pocket(s), a kitchen cupboard, the glove compartment, and a tool box or two.

If I go to bed, I take the stuff out of my pocket anyway and put it on the nightstand.

I don't have any lights on a shelf, or otherwise stored in a "collection"...every light I have goes to work with me/has a job to do SOMEWHERE.

When I would replace a light with one that worked better/took its place in the rotation, I would chuck the old one/give it to someone else, or save it as a spare if it were still useful (Most of the tool box lights, etc...).

Example, I had an old Inova T5 UV light I used for forensic work...it wore out, and Nite Ize honored the lifetime warranty, and replaced it, sending me a brand new, current model Inova T5 UV light.

Well, its a perfectly good light, but, while it was out for repair/replacement to Nite Ize, I received an XeLED UV light that worked better in the same wavelength, and a Tank007 UV with a 365 nm emitter, and these worked better than the Inova for my purposes.

The Inova will most likely be given to one of my techs (Got it back today), or put into a tool box as a spare UV light. They are tough as hell, the old one was banged around from ~ 2003 - 2012 or so, and only the switch wore out. With a life time warranty, it still has value/use....probably last another decade, etc.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds like a general problem in the population, not affecting just flashlights, known as "hoarding". Probably 2-5% of the population have a real problem, not just a funny hobby. This gets worse as people get older.

I too have had too many flashlights, but I've been working to reduce the number. I've given large numbers away, thrown away some, and have worked on the rest to make sure they make sense in terms of potential uses.

This still leaves some that I may get around to selling at some point, especially ones that have special value (titanium, etc.).

I am also working on the knives, probably will throw away some as I buy one more that has qualities I want that are not present in my current set.

This still leaves whole areas to work on, such as old computers and their software and cables, books, papers, magazines,...

I guess I'd better get on with it before I get so old I start hoarding again!

One more thing, smart collecting is not the same as hoarding, provided the collector knows what they are doing and can actually produce positive value over time for their collection. Buying 20 cheap flashlights is not really collecting!

ragweed

Enlightened
In a SHTF scenarios , I have 6 E01's. One for each member of the family & two backup E01's. A lantern & a couple Thrower led lights. I collect users period. They came in real handy the last power outage.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Caving

Diving

Nocturnal Bird Watching

Scorpion Hunting

Herpetology

Chiropterology

More like:

Night hiking
Bicycle riding
Geocaching
Archeology - there's a nice cave not far from here
and, yes, caving - no better place to carry half a dozen flashlights and seem normal

I'll take your suggestions into account and start working on those as soon as I get my caving equipment. I just need to find some scorpions to release in the wild, though...

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
No. :)

My kids will inherit a fine collection and enough spare parts to keep 'em running for their lifetimes as well. I generally use them all and mod them or use them in different applications or at work. I've successfully instilled a respect for good tools and being able to use them, they likely will enjoy them as much as myself.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sadness creeps in when I want to take a group picture (ok that's kinda sad too) and I forget about several lights...and I know I'll have to take it again soon because I have multiple lights incoming....

Paladin

Enlightened
I think my daughter and grand-daughter will have the issue of dealing with my light collection. And stereo gear. And firearms. And trucks. Me, no worries...

Paladin

arjay

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriend actually gave me a pretty good idea on what to do with all my lights when I told her that I'm up to 36 now. At night, go to my room turn off all the lights and close the blinds and turn ALL of my flashlights on max brightness at the same time. I actually did this last week and it was fun, blinding, but fun! :D

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Its like any other tool in your tool box.

Do you only have one sized wrench?

Socket?

Screwdriver?

Do you USE ALL of them all the time?

Do you say to yourself, hmmm, I have not used that 14 mm socket in a long time, I should get rid of it?

or

If you are a stamp collector, do you say, hmmm, I doubt I'll ever mail anything now that I have email...maybe I should get rid of them?

How often do you really LOOK at those paintings on your walls, are you wondering if maybe you should get rid of them?

And so forth.

Logical fallacy.

Having 20 of the same light is like having 20 of the same wrench in a toolbox.

There are also very few situations where you'd consciously choose similar lights for different things. A light is a light, it doesn't have to fit a particular 1/16" inch whatnot. As long as it illuminates, turns on/off when you want it to, and isn't too dim or too heavy for the job, then its suitable.

We can derive pleasure from choosing one light over another for very slight reasons, but it is generally irrational pleasure.

I can understand having a few dozen of the same light for an emergency, to hand out to people around you. Or, having a couple lights for every kind of battery, as I have, and even variations on weight/size/output for each battery type.

I can't understand collecting arbitrary lights, but that doesn't mean its wrong.