Maglite LED question

RogM

Newly Enlightened
Hi All
I have a real newbie question that I need some help with please. I have an old 3D Maglite which i recntly bought this Led upgrade for. http://www.liteoptec.co.za/CatalogueItem_Details.aspx?ItemCode=ML0822
I have been using 3 x AA 2500mAh rechargeable NiMh batteries in a sleeve, and I am happy with the result for my purpose. The charger can charge either 2 or 4 batteries at a time. The Led is for 2 or 3 C or D batteries.
What I would like to know is:
Can I leave it as is, and charge 3 disharged batteries and 1 charged battery at the same time, OR could I use 4 batteries in the tube in series, this would probably need a mod to the spring in the tailcap, OR could I make up a battery pack with the 4 x AA so that 2 pairs are in parallel giving voltage of 2.4V?
Thanks in advance for any help
Roger

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither will work super well, but if you keep the parallel pair together then the second method will work well enough. The problem with having mismatched batteries in a light is that the strong cell can reverse-charge the weak ones under certain conditions which shortens the battery life.

If you want to run it on 2 AAs, then you only need a conductive spacer to stand in for the third battery. People here make them from metal cylinders with some coating so the outside isn't conductive. Really, a stack of pennies in a PVC pipe would work well enough, but a spring inside a tube (Paper rolled, PVC, etc) is more convenient to use.

Finally, people here sell 2 or 3 AA to 1D adapters. Most put the cells in series for higher voltage, but some put them in parallel. If you're clever with shaping plastic/wood/etc, then any carrier that can hold 2AAs with a conductive top and bottom, and insulated sides, is a good start.

RogM

Newly Enlightened
Thanks AnAppleSnail
So what difference would it make if I either put 2 x cells next to each other in parallell with 2 singles in series behind it, or 2 x 2 in parallell? Hope that makes sense!!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks AnAppleSnail
So what difference would it make if I either put 2 x cells next to each other in parallell with 2 singles in series behind it, or 2 x 2 in parallell? Hope that makes sense!!

Matching the batteries is going to be best for the cells. So 2s2p (two sets in series of two parallel cells) is going to be kinder, (and give more runtime); while mixing capacities is going to act funny and not be as kind to the cells. If you get more AAs then you could do 3s2p, and have higher voltage and respectable runtime too. I see that you aren't in the US, which can limit ability to order cool lighting gear.

RogM

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for the reply AnAppleSnail. I can get more AAs, so 3s2p would be no problem. That would still be 3.6V, right?
That's a nice idea! Yes we definitely don't get as much cool stuff as you guys that are in the US, and prices comparitively much more expensive too.
Thanks for the good idea.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that'd be 3.6v nominal - but quality NiMH AAs often run high-power LED lights brighter (and driven harder) than an equal number of alkalines, because alkalines working hard drop voltage quickly.

I think PVC pipe from a hardware store, with some clever use of metal bits and springs or tape, would work well for a spacer/holder.

RogM

Newly Enlightened
I'll try that then, probably on the weekend - will let you know how it goes - thanks!!!