Any flashlight shaped led better then fenix tk70?

borgqueenx

Newly Enlightened
I have finally made my choice that i will stick with led instead hid. I like that leds dont need to warm up, that they last longer.
But im wondering...as a final to my my research for a perfect flashlight....is there something brighter or as bright with better battery available on the market?(wich has the flashlight shape)(and is not all flood)
Olight sr's are on desame par. I like their battery incidator but im never going to pay more then double...i can get a fenix tk70 for 160 euro incl shipping.
My max budget is 300 dollar.
Is there anything better that beats the tk70?

Thanks!

shipwreck

Enlightened
Some Eagletacs rated at up to 3000 lumens are supposed to be due out later this year, but they are not out yet. And, who knows what they will cost.

I lusted after the SR90 for a long time and got a TK70 recently. GREAT light. Realize that you do not get 1hr 50min + on Turbo. AFter finding that out myself, I posted here and did some more reading here. I got 79 minutes max on turbo after charging and using the batteries a few times (some claim ya have to break in the new batteries a bit). SOmeone here did report that the 1hr 50 min is actually the light starting on turbo, and then cycling down each level as the batteries drain.

So, don't expect too much.

However, Olight has recently downgraded the output lumens on the SR90 - apparently they were overstated. So, the tK70 is the big boy for now. There is a Nightcore light that puts out 2000 lumens. But, the reflector looks kind of small to me. I gotta think that the throw on the TK70 would be further.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It depends what you are trying to DO with the light. The lights with long throw are not practical for other than looking for things that are far away....The SR 90 came out before ANSI ratings, and advertised emitter lumens, which of course means that the OTF lumens are lower, closer to 1300-1500 OTF from 2,200 lm advertised....but the giant head concentrates those lumens into a small hot spot....making it VERY bright at a distance.

The TK70 has more lumens OTF, but less concentration of the beam...so the hot spot is larger, but less concentrated, and the raw horsepower of the stronger emitter compensates for the less effective reflector, etc....so the TK70 and SR90 are very close in performance.

The SR 90 battery pack is included with the light, and runs longer than the TK70's set-up.

For the money, the TK70 might be a better deal for you....but, is your primary use REALLY Search and Rescue/Long range observation, etc?

If you want to just light up an area 100-200 yards or so really brightly in front of you, NEITHER the SR90 OR Tk70 is a good choice.

For example, I have a foursevens S18 I just brought for $167 that is 1,200 lumens, throws a USEFUL 200 yards or so (That part is bright, but you can SEE ~ 300-400 yards), but it also can do lower settings when too much light would glare/reflect too much to use, or wake up other campers, etc.

The Jetbeam RTT3 is 1,950 lumens, throws even further, but is a wall of light at ~ 300 yards...the entire area is brightly flooded infront of you....or you can dial it down to a few lumen for close up work, etc.

Food for thought.

:D

Last edited:

85coke

Newly Enlightened
Another benefit of the tk70 is the low modes. I can use the light inside my house in the middle of the night without many issues. I've also used it to look around inside my truck at night. Not many lights this big and powerful have a low mode that useful.

borgqueenx

Newly Enlightened
Teej, im looking for amazement.
Not really ona mission or a need for a flashlight.

I already have a small uniquefire xml light wich lights up about 150 meter before me.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe check out the DRY triple XM-L from cnqualitygoods. It's much smaller, uses 3 18650s and runs direct drive on 'turbo' mode. So no regulation but a max mode that's 2500 OTF compared to the TK70's 2150 approx.

Oh and it's also much cheaper ;)

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Lambda lights Varapower Turbo. SST-90 on a solid copper heat sink driven way harder than a SR90.