HypeTac P1A Penlight

ragweed

Enlightened
Just got it today! The finish is flawless & the Led is perfectly centered. The pocket clip is stout & works fine in my shirt pocket. The beam is a perfect flood in all 3 modes & the tint is neutral to very slightly warm with no hotspots.It is around 4 inches overall. It comes with 2 spare O rings but I don't think you will need them anytime soon. The threads are clean & smooth with no grit & well lubed also. I wish I could do pics but, cannot. I will leave pics & beam shots to someone else. It is a reverse clicky which I like as it will not come on unexpectedly. A slight tap on the switch when on changes the modes with no preflash or other strange stuff. All in all I love this light!Forgot to say that this model uses a 1 AAA cell.

Last edited:

ragweed

Enlightened
If anyone has questions I will do my best to answer them though I am no expert. I am just a user & only use what is functional to me & my needs.

Racer

Enlightened
Nice. Reverse clicky? No mode memory? It looks a little like the Microstream. How is the feel of the tail switch?

ragweed

Enlightened
It has mode memory that reverts to medium every time it sets on off for 5 seconds & then turns back on. The other 2 modes are manual though. The tail switch feels fine to me with no sloppy play detected. Yes, its a reverse clicky so you don't have to worry much about it coming on by itself. I really like it.

Racer

Enlightened
Did you get the SS version? I'm not normally into SS lights but that one just looks appealing for some reason. If so, is the button also made out of stainless?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy ragweed. I like the look of this penlight. On the website I didn't see anything listed about the driver used. Do you notice any visible PWM on any level? Is it the same brightness on an alkaline as it is with a NiMh? Also, I'm curious if the light dims over time, or if it stays the same and then stops suddenly, or stays the same for most of the runtime and then goes into a moonlight type mode at the end. Thanks.

ragweed

Enlightened
Did you get the SS version? I'm not normally into SS lights but that one just looks appealing for some reason. If so, is the button also made out of stainless?

I got the black coated version.

ragweed

Enlightened
Yes it uses PWM but, it is very faint on low & medium only detectable if you hold it to your ear. Nothing detectable by me on high. PWM is really a non issue with this light IMO. All modes work great & no strange strobe effect is visible even on low. I used it at night on low & medium & its great IMO. I am using a eneloop in it now & would not expect an alkaline AAA to be any brighter.I would expect it to go slowly dim over time before it goes out as with most lights. You could contact Bryan at shining beam & ask him about your Q's he will be glad to answer them for you. Its a great little light IMO.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ragweed, thanks for the quick answers. I'll contact Bryan for more specifics about the PWM frequency, as I tend to be somewhat more sensitive to it's visual effects that other folks.

Latest posts