LED Flashlight Question...

onalandline

Newly Enlightened
I was searching for a new flashlight, and remember coming across one brand that used some sort of shock-absorbing plunger system instead of springs to retain the battery/batteries? Can someone clue me in as to what brand that may be? Thanks.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was searching for a new flashlight, and remember coming across one brand that used some sort of shock-absorbing plunger system instead of springs to retain the battery/batteries? Can someone clue me in as to what brand that may be? Thanks.

This sounds like the Nitecore Piston Drive to me. It allows more complex electronic switches, and a lot of CPFers like it a lot.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
that also could be the Nitecore system. The two systems are a bit different. one design released in late 2005 under Alpha-TAC military design prior to them changing names to ExtremeBeam and Nitecores 2007 design.

That's true - the Nitecore design looks like a shock absorber but has a different function. Nitecore uses a piston for a different interface - I think your company uses dual springs and a piston (?) to protect a battery from firearm recoil. I would NOT suggest a Nitecore piston-drive for a weapon light ;)

onalandline

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I use a Streamlight TLR1S as a weapon light.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all...I suspect that the "shock absorbing plunger" most likely had a spring under the cap....similar to the Olight tailcaps, rather than being any sort of fancy hydraulic/gas mechanism. I have doubts about a plunger being ideal for a weapon light though, since while a spring is easier to bind and get bent out of shape...it is also more user serviceable if it does get bent or damaged than a plunger which has to travel through a hole. If a plunger gets bent or crushed then it may not be easily fixed in the field and may require the replacement of the entire tailcap or head.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could check nutnfancy's channel in youtube where he reviews lots of weapon-mountable lights.