Saddleback Leather Owners

nbp

Flashaholic
In my continuing quest to build the perfect set of EDC items, I have just made the wallet upgrade: I ordered a dark coffee brown small bifold wallet from Saddleback. I am super excited to get this as it seems like it will be about perfect for me.

Who else owns Saddleback products, and how do you feel about them? Have they held up as well as advertised? I am eager to hear your thoughts. :huh: Pics of your well-used gear would be even better!! :thumbsup:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
briefcasex.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic

Gorgeous!

I remember reading in one of my McGizmo threads that you were fighting the urge to get a Haiku or Mule because you were saving for that bag. How do you like it? I would love one of their bags but I can't think of a good reason to buy one....yet.

samuraishot

Enlightened
Nothing beats the fresh leather smell when you open the package :) I had the small gadget pouch.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love it. I was worried that 2 years of pining for one would set my expectations so high that it wouldn't deliver, but that hasn't been the case at all. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it's bloody heavy - even unloaded it probably weighs a few pounds more than any other bag. Other than that, it's everything I was hoping it'd be - durable, good looking and well-built.

Gorgeous!

I remember reading in one of my McGizmo threads that you were fighting the urge to get a Haiku or Mule because you were saving for that bag. How do you like it? I would love one of their bags but I can't think of a good reason to buy one....yet.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
They make some nice leather, but that Bifold was ridiculously thick EMPTY. I gave it to my wife.

The satchels and bags all must be tough as boots...but again, very very heavy EMPTY.

obi

nbp

Flashaholic
Hmmm, I will have to see about the thickness. Im trying to go minimalist, using real simple two pocket wallets, so I got the smallest one. I usually only carry cash and a couple cards, so I'm hoping it's not too thick, where my foot tingles when I sit on it. We'll see I guess.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it arrives you should let us know what you think nbp. I've been considering a Saddleback belt & wallet but I like my wallets pretty thin. Currently packing around a Fossil Findley.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a number of their products. ( well wife & i)
Medium Briefcase
Black belt
A satchel
Two Iphone sleeves
An Ipad sleeve
Two Leather ID wallets
A leather wallet sleeve ( for the extra credit cards etc)
and am about to order the new Camera Bag. I think he calls it a Gadget bag.

I am very satisfied with all their products, and it is "fun" once you place an order , as your emails from the staff are always entertaining.

As for thin wallets, mine must be thin. The ID wallet is tiny. It holds my DL, a credit card, bank card & about 5 bills without becoming too bulky at all, During holidays last week, I may have had 10 bills in there, no problem.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been on the website in a while. I remember thinking I should have better have gotten the ID wallet. The one my wife now carries is cards on both sides, folds in half, billfold area with the secret flap. It was impossible for me. I also carry a few cards, cash, and that's it.

The gadget bag is a bit small IMO. My wife carries it as her dress/travel purse. Bought it to match her wallet. :) Loves it. But it wouldn't make a good tool kit unless your tools are small. Just draw the dimensions on paper and fold it up to see if is really what you are expecting. Tough as nails, of course. And maybe as a Camera Bag it would be perfect.

Quality of the stuff cannot be denied.

obi

nbp

Flashaholic
Obi, the wallet with the secret flap is the Large bifold I think. That one is pretty big, I steered away from that. I went with the smallest of the three sizes. I will definitely let you all know what I think of it when I get it and post pics with some other EDC gear for size comparisons.

I'm glad everyone has been happy with the build quality though. They claim a 100 yr. warranty, so I felt pretty confident. I'm looking forward to "breaking it in"...with my butt. ;)

Great posts so far guys, keep 'em coming. Might as well just make this the Saddleback owner Master thread. :eek:oo:

persco

Enlightened
I have a small chestnut bifold (which they don't seem to sell anymore), and the id wallet. Both are awesome. The small bifold is not too thick, at least for me. I've had it since last Spring and it's just starting to look broken in. I've been through many wallets, made of a lot of different things, and these are the best made by a long shot. I love them.

fonaryk

Newly Enlightened
I've had the large satchel for 2 years now and cannot find anything to complain about.Yes, it is certainly heavy but that comes with the territory. The leather is

top notch and very thick. I took a lot of ribbing for my "murse" when I first started carrying it around,especially when it was new but it beat lugging edc stuff

around in my pockets and I did not have to worry about getting it scratched,torn or disfigured in anyway. It will most definitely outlive me and probably several

more generations. Besides from what I have seen on fleabay etc. SBL retains a very high resale value. Long break in period.Dave seems like a nice,friendly,

philanthropic guy.

He sure likes to spend time in Africa.Guess I would too if I could.

nbp

Flashaholic
They still sell the small wallets in chestnut, if you check out the site. I'm glad to hear you are happy with the size of that one. I'm getting more excited for this piece. Can't wait to stuff some cards and cash in it and get to sitting on it. ;)

I kinda wish I could carry a little satchel, a murse, I guess. It sure would be handy for EDC items. But I live in a little town, certainly not trendy enough for that. People would probably just think I'm, well, you know. :ohgeez: Maybe at some point I'll just say What the Heck? and get something like that.

FlaGman

Newly Enlightened
My neighbor gave me her old ipad when she got the new version. First thing I did was order a Saddleback case for it...

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n568/garlandmeyer/3ce9b1f6.jpg

Your images are oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

nbp

Flashaholic
You will have to continue buying every iteration of the iPad from now on, as that thing will last 80 years. Very very nice.

UPS says my wallet should be here by Tuesday. :popcorn: :popcorn:

nbp

Flashaholic
I received my SB wallet today, and put my stuff in it. It is really a beautiful wallet, for sure! It is thicker than I expected though. The leather is such heavy gauge that when you have four layers of it, it adds up. I'm going to sit on it for a few days and see how I like it and if it starts to soften up a little. I will post pics tomorrow when I get a chance.

nbp

Flashaholic
It'll get thinner and it will soften up, too. But it takes a little time!

I hope so! Even after I got home today, I kept it in my back pocket for increased contact time, haha. I will give it a while and see how it handles. Otherwise I might try the ID wallet, which is thinner. It's hard to find the exactly perfect EDC setup.

Here's the Saddleback with some other EDC stuff..

cimg0131f.jpg

persco

Enlightened
I alternate between the two, the bifold and the id wallet. I love 'em. I also have one of their belts, and it's fantastic. I had bought a couple of handmade Beltman belts, but they weren't that great compared to all the hype -- very stiff and actually cracked when I bent it. They also get really crinkled instead of wearing in. Started to look a bit dodgy. So I tried the Saddleback belt. I should have got that the first time. Shoulda, woulda, coulda...