ARE RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES BAD FOR THE FENIX LD10?!?

luketheduke8

Newly Enlightened
I heard rechargeable batteries (AA alkaline) are bad for the Fenix LD10 and that they can wreck the circuit or something, is this true, and also would this wreck any other lights as well (Fenix LD20?)? thank alot :)

ico

Enlightened
Alkaline are primary batteries. The LD10 can use them because the alkaline's voltage is only 1.5v . Rechargeablea like niMh can also be used since they are 1.2v

Most dont prefer alkalines since they tend to leak. So most use niMh's or lithium primaries like the energizer ultimate lithium.

Rechargeable lithium ions /Li-ion are the ones who are not compatible with the Ld10 since its voltage is 3.7V which will fry the circuit or kill the led

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard rechargeable batteries (AA alkaline) are bad for the Fenix LD10 and that they can wreck the circuit or something, is this true, and also would this wreck any other lights as well (Fenix LD20?)? thank alot :)

I would have to check the stats of the lights. The reason why some are not recommended for rechargeables is because the lights are rated for a certain voltage range. Rechargeables tend to have a slightly higher voltage than the typical battery. This voltage can be greater than the limit on the leds causing them to blow out. I have noticed some of the single cell lights with this issue. a lot of the newer lights mainly dual cell have a higher voltage range than batteries supply.

Lets say your light has a led raing of 1.5v; some rechargeables when fully charged will be over 1.6v. I have seen the dual cell lights run in the range of 3-9v so they are safe. I hope this helps and this could be the case with the models you listed.

Imon

Enlightened
Dude Luke...
First of all you have to ease up on your caps lock when you're typing out your thread titles. THEY'RE ALL CAPS.

Second as long as you stay within the voltage range recommended by Fenix you'll be OK. So you can use Ni-MH rechargeables with the light, but yeah, don't use Li-ion.

arjay

Newly Enlightened
Alkaline are primary batteries. The LD10 can use them because the alkaline's voltage is only 1.5v . Rechargeablea like niMh can also be used since they are 1.2v

Most dont prefer alkalines since they tend to leak. So most use niMh's or lithium primaries like the energizer ultimate lithium.

Rechargeable lithium ions /Li-ion are the ones who are not compatible with the Ld10 since its voltage is 3.7V which will fry the circuit or kill the led

Not exactly true, you can use Li-ion on the LD10 but you lose all the lower levels. It's just not recommended by the manufacturer so use at your own risk as it might cause some long term damage to the LED.

Btw, hi Kabayan! :)

Bozzlite

Enlightened
I have always used NiMh rechargeables (Eneloops and Duraloops) in all my Fenix AA lights. I have had no problems and they seem to provide a fairly long run time.

There is no loss in OTF lumens with NiMh as compared to alkaline primaries.

Rechargeable alkalines should be fine too, but you will get much better overall performance with NiMh.

The Quark 1 AA head is rated at 4 volts and can handle the Lithium AA size rechargeable (14500), and the Lion batt actually increases the lumen output in turbo mode.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkaline are primary batteries. [...]

Actually, there are alkaline rechargeables, but I definitely would not not recommend those for flashlights as they have limited current output. They won't do anything bad to your flashlight, they just won't last as long and might give very poor performance.

Fenix normally recommends NiMh rechargeable batteries for their flashlights (ecept the ones designed for lithium batteries, obviously) although they run just fine on regular alkalines - and their stated runtimes are based on NiMh batteries since those will give you the longest runtime. For even better performance, get some low-discharge (also known as LSD) cells. These usually come in packages that state "pre-charged", but the CPF agreed best LSD batteries are Eneloops, which you might not find in stores.

You CAN run the LD10 and the PD20 on a Li-ion battery, but as mentioned you lose all lower modes. My PD20 has been runnind on Li-Ions for years now without problem.

vali

Enlightened
With high power LEDs NiMH is the way to go. Alkalines can leak and will not be able to deliver the juice the light needs at high levels. Just search for runtime charts of AA powered lights and compare alkalines with NiMH or Lithium.

Hint: use NiMH LSD cells (eneloops and the like). They have the best of both worlds: will stay charged for years if unused, rechargeable and can deliver the high current modern flashlights require.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
With high power LEDs NiMH is the way to go. Alkalines can leak and will not be able to deliver the juice the light needs at high levels. Just search for runtime charts of AA powered lights and compare alkalines with NiMH or Lithium.

Hint: use NiMH LSD cells (eneloops and the like). They have the best of both worlds: will stay charged for years if unused, rechargeable and can deliver the high current modern flashlights require.

I'm sorry, but I have to correct you a little. Alkalines (reasonnable ones, not dollar store ones) only leak when demanding more power than they can actually give (not the case with current Fenix except perhaps the TK70) or if you forget depleted or depleting alkalines in a flashlight for too long (can be a short time with depleted cells or dollar store crap).

NiMh cells don't stay charged for years... they just very slowly discharge and retain a capacity of ~80% after 6 months and ~60% after a year on the shelf.

Sorry man, just had to get the facts straight.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMh cells don't stay charged for years... they just very slowly discharge and retain a capacity of ~80% after 6 months and ~60% after a year on the shelf.

LSD NiMH batteries mentioned by the poster you quoted are rated to retain 85% after 12 months and over 60% after two or more years out of the charger. You should've re-read that post.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
LSD NiMH batteries mentioned by the poster you quoted are rated to retain 85% after 12 months and over 60% after two or more years out of the charger. You should've re-read that post.

Didn't know that about Eneloops, but you're right. Other batteries usually go down to ~60% after 12 months, though.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Typically 'rechargeable' is used to refer to LiFePO4, Li-ion, Ni-Mh and Ni-Cad (lead-acid, not really being relevant to flashlights).
Alkaline, Zinc Chloride, Lithium (covering AA -1.7v, CR -3V and the new 14500-3.6v primary versions) and Silver Oxide are primary types.
Rechargeable Alkaline are neither quite primary nor rechargeable, but are an in-between compromise resulting in similar performance to primary alkaline (with the same voltage characteristics), but have a very limited number of recharge cycles and need special chargers.

The LD10 works best on Ni-Mh due to the cell's low internal resistance and high current output. The initially higher voltage of a standard Alkaline is outweighed by its higher internal resistance under load.

If an Alkaline leaks in your LD10 it might well wreck it, but if you ensure it is not run flat and is well in date, the risks are minimal. Rechargeable Alkaline also have the risk of leaking and this increases with the number of recharge cycles, but will not fry the electronics due to high voltage, so Alkalines are only a risk due to leaking.

With the quality and performance of Low Self Discharge Ni-Mh cells, and the Energiser Lithium AA, I don't see a real place for rechargeable Alkaline.

I would have to check the stats of the lights. The reason why some are not recommended for rechargeables is because the lights are rated for a certain voltage range. Rechargeables tend to have a slightly higher voltage than the typical battery. This voltage can be greater than the limit on the leds causing them to blow out. I have noticed some of the single cell lights with this issue. a lot of the newer lights mainly dual cell have a higher voltage range than batteries supply.

Lets say your light has a led raing of 1.5v; some rechargeables when fully charged will be over 1.6v. I have seen the dual cell lights run in the range of 3-9v so they are safe. I hope this helps and this could be the case with the models you listed.

Not sure I agree....

Only LiFePO4 and li-ion rechargeables will have a higher voltage. Lithium AA primaries have a slightly higher initial voltage up to 1.7V, but this only becomes a problem in multi-cell lights where the cells are in series.

Ni-Mh might have a topped up voltage of around 1.5V, but this quickly drops to the nominal 1.2V, and is the recommended cell for an LD10.

I'm sorry, but I have to correct you a little. Alkalines (reasonnable ones, not dollar store ones) only leak when demanding more power than they can actually give (not the case with current Fenix except perhaps the TK70) or if you forget depleted or depleting alkalines in a flashlight for too long (can be a short time with depleted cells or dollar store crap).

The latest eneloops retain 75% of their charge after three years.

Good Alkalines are pretty resilient, and don't tend to leak immediately even if over drawn. Once depleted the reactions inside the cell start to build pressure and break down the seals and this can lead to leakage. This will happen quickly if the cell is left closed-circuit (by leaving the power switch on).

Flashlight Enthusiast
most Fenix lights can handle some variation of voltage.

Most recommendations by manufacturers specify certain batteries for 1 or the other reason

1) the light will handle the voltage, but you get crappy runtimes with rechargeables, making the spec sheet on runtimes invalid
example: Klarus Xt-11 recommended is 2xCR123 or 18650.
[RCR123 or 16340 not recommended... because it works, but runtimes stink and the voltage and heat is higher than expected]

2) the light will handle the voltage, but you can get heat damage if left on for normal durations
example: Fenix LD01 AAA battery. toss in an IMR 10440 and it becomes a photon cannon and coffee heater.

3) the light cannot handle the voltage. then it gets real bright real fast then real dark even faster.
Fenix E01. toss in a IMR 10440 and *pop*

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
most Fenix lights can handle some variation of voltage.

Most recommendations by manufacturers specify certain batteries for 1 or the other reason

1) the light will handle the voltage, but you get crappy runtimes with rechargeables, making the spec sheet on runtimes invalid
example: Klarus Xt-11 recommended is 2xCR123 or 10850. RCR123 not recommended... because it works, but runtimes stink

2) the light will handle the voltage, but you can get heat damage if left on for normal durations
example: Fenix LD01 AAA battery. toss in an IMR 10440 and it becomes a photon cannon and coffee heater.

3) the light cannot handle the voltage. then it gets real bright real fast then real dark even faster.
Fenix E01. toss in a IMR 10440 and *pop*

Just to point out though that Fenix do not condone using Li-ions in the LD10 or LD01. Enthusiasts looking for high output have tried and found the Fenix circuits can handle the increased voltage, but this is done AT YOUR OWN RISK - (said in the style of the thread title :)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
phuu
:rolleyes:
there is so much wrong info, that this will get a long post ...

1st: rechargeable (Ni-Mh, NiCad) is better with Your LD10, as well as any light, because
2nd: alkalines can not stand the current that is needed with them (especially 1*AA models)
* rechargeable alkalines have once really been offered, but skip them
* alkalines have higher voltage than rechargeable batteries
* Li-Ions are rechargeable (and have ~4 V) but when someone talks of "rechargeable" usually means 1.2 V NiCad/NiMh
* some 1*AA lights can be run with a 14500 Li-Ion (rechargeable) (usually means higher output, often on cost of no more different levels)
* when "rechargeables", then LSD cells (low self discharge)

vali

Enlightened

I did not say every NiMH will retain charge for years. LSD NiMH will (like the alkalines). In my experience most regular NiMH will not hold that 80% even after a month (sometimes even a week).

Will alkalines leak? Just search the forums. I dont think a Fenix E01 will demand more power than they can give, but there was more than one member asking for a way to clean a E01 with battery leaks. There are even pics of leaked cells inside unopened boxes. Are those depleted or depleting?

Even if they only leak when used in flashligths that demand a lot of power, the op is asking for use in a LD10. I think it's high level is demanding enough.

Of course, not every alkaline will leak in a few years, but they CAN (you never know).