Max lumens for entire battery life?

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
Why can't they make flashlights that constantly up out the max amount of lumens for the entire duration of the battery life? I got the surefire e2dl defender at 200lm max. But I'm talking about all flashlights...am I the only one that wants to see a light give out the max lumens untill the battery's drained. Is it possible? Or recommended?

Last edited:

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I have seen lights that just cut off when the battery has been depleted, but i wouldnt recommend them for EDC. I prefer a gradual stepdown so that i have a warning that the battery is getting low/near depletion.

For example, you are descending a dark stairwell during a tornado warning, and your light just decides to give out. You thought you had fresh batteries. But what do you do?

(I know, a flashaholic would simply grab his/her backup light and be done with it)

The majority, but not all led lights, feature at least some sort of regulation that keeps the light output constant during use. Some are better at maintaining regulation than others, but i see no problem with the current selection of lights.

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
Thanks I'll have to check out that company. I want somehow like that just for showin off and being impressed. I do see your point about the emergency scenario, and that is good to be warned before the battery runs out.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Most lights that run on Li-ion cells will give you max output until the cell's protection cuts in, but you're not supposed to do that to Li-ions, plus there's no warning - the light is at max output one second and then is completely off the next.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
I know for sure my Eagletac P20A2 MKII runs on max output (minus gradual thermal sag, unavoidable) until my eneloop cells are drained. Lights that use a cc/cv circuit exhibit this behavior.

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
I just checked out the Armytek Preditor and I already wana buy it. Looked at videos and it's close to 500 lumens and throws a lil over 800 feet, and it can safely use rechargeable battery's. Has cree xpg. But I saw it only has a 18 month warranty...I also saw a complain about the tailcap switch malfunctioning. I want a light with a lifetime warranty. Any sugestions?

Shadowww

Banned
500 lumens with a XP-G? That's kind of fishy. Cree® rates XP-G for max. 1.5A driving current, and at that current it outputs just 463 lumens even in top bin (R5). So either you'll get less OTF lumens than written on the box, or you'll have a flashlight that overdrives LED (bad for it's lifespan).

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked out the Armytek Preditor and I already wana buy it. Looked at videos and it's close to 500 lumens and throws a lil over 800 feet, and it can safely use rechargeable battery's. Has cree xpg. But I saw it only has a 18 month warranty...I also saw a complain about the tailcap switch malfunctioning. I want a light with a lifetime warranty. Any sugestions?

First time I've heard about a malfunction on a Predator. Excellent light and they have excellent service. I wouldn't let the 18 month warranty part stop me from getting one (lots of companies only give 1 year warranty and that has never stopped me). Lots of those who have one Predator have two :grin: the others are just waiting for a different Armytek model...

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a database around somewhere of the various driver electronics, to compare efficiency? I got a lot of education from the Sandwichshoppe dropins for the M@g AA (MadMax, BadBoy, etc.) which went into detail about the various choices available. I don't see that level of useful information nowadays.