Arc AA & Lithium Cell - the perfect combination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybersoga

Newly Enlightened
Any of you guys using the Arc AA with a lithium battery? Seems like the perfect combination to me - extra runtime and feather light - lithium AA batteries are £4.99 from Maplin in the UK.

I havn't got my AA yet but being able to use Lithium batteries has got to be a good reason for getting one don'tya think?

cybersoga

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip - nice price! my point is that you cant get AAA lithium batteries very easily, so being able to use them in the Arc AA is a definate bonus.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
I've been running lithium in my AA. I imagine that it will offer somewhat better runtime, but my automatic nightlight test indicates that the light is no brighter on lithium than it is on alkaline. I'm using lithium because I think its runtime curve will be flatter. The Arc 5mm circuit on alkaline produces a runtime curve that slopes steadily from full brightness down to 1/3 - 1/2 brightness before falling out of regulation. I'm hoping that the curve on lithium will look more like a fully regulated light. Runtime test please Roy? I don't plan to do my own runtime test, but have metered the light with a fresh lithium AA and a lithium AA that has maybe 10 hours of run in a CMG Infinity Ultra behind it. The light is exactly the same brightness with both batteries.

Wasteful to run the Arc AA on lithium? I don't think so. I won't be using the AA for long runs. Each lithium AA should last me quite a long time, and every time it comes on I would like the same brightness to come out. I do sometimes need a long run 1xAA light, and in those cases I'll reach for my CMG Ultra on NiMH. The Ultra's circuit regulates more flatly than the Arc, sort of like half voltage half current regulation. The CMG Ultra is only 15% brighter on alkaline than it is on NiMH. The Arc AA is a whopping 50% brighter on alkaline than it is on NiMH. This regulation difference (CMG more regulated) is well documented by Roy' runtime tests that match my personal observations. Peter has a different, and equally valid, philosophy. I believe the Arc circuit is specifically designed to let the light's output drop somewhat as a warning that the battery needs replacement.

Geheim

Newly Enlightened
Re: Arc AA & Lithium Cell - the perfect combinatio

I use a lithium (L91) in my Ultra. I have also put a L91 in my ARC AA. Simple reason. Lightweight for easy all day carry, and for a consistent output.

Chad

logical

Newly Enlightened

Doesn't a lithium also have a much better shelf life if the AA is stored unused for a period of time?

cybersoga

Newly Enlightened

I suppose we really should take the environment into consideration with regards to using lithium batteries... any thoughts on this?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
cybersoga said:
I suppose we really should take the environment into consideration with regards to using lithium batteries... any thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, since you asked.......... I won't stop using lithiums. It's as simple as that.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cybersoga said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to remember a similar discussion just recently where some knowledgeable person said that they weren't bad for the environment! After all, there is nothing on the package about how to dispose of them, like there is on NiCad batteries. I'll see if I can find that discussion, but at the moment it is certainly NOT a given in my mind that there is anything to worry about, not anymore than all the usual stuff we all throw away on a daily basis. And if there is, I'll just dispose of them through proper chanels, but I, like nascar, will not stop using them. Period.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Sounds like the circuit in the Arc AA needs the higher voltage of Alkalines, and Li, to light of the night. Not as efficient with NIMH's?

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.