Need guidance on first 2D Maglite asperical build

freeloader700

Newly Enlightened
I want to do a 2D build using 2 x 18650 li-ions (if this is possible)

I was thinking about sst-50 but I think I want an XM-L (at about 1000-1200 lumens) with a few modes. Hi, Med, Low is fine, strobe would be cool.

I have DX 50mm asperical lens on the way.

1. What Driver do I need?

2. What what version XM-L do I need?

3. What is a good heatsink for me? I seen this thread and not sure which to go with (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?203235-*****-P7-and-DHS-Heatsink-Part-2***** )

is there a different LED that would better suit my needs? One thing I don't want it an LED that has a very square hot spot.

I see this here ( http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?216604-My-blue-Aspherical-Maglite )and want to do the GITD in the heatsink like that one.

Please educate me. Thank you

yazovyet

Enlightened
The die on the LED is the part that emits light (unless I am confusing terms, but the following applies anyways), the aspheric lense basically projects an image of that die as teh hot spot. There are 2 ways to avoid a square hot spot when useing a lense;
1) unfocus the lense, this will reduce throw and kinda defeats the purpose,
2) get an LED with a round die.
aside from the CXA2011 (cree, 38-46 volts) i don't know any LEDs with round dies.

freeloader700

Newly Enlightened
Okay that makes sense.

k So if I am going to go with the XM-L what would be a good driver?

yazovyet

Enlightened
I have an h22a heat sink. it works nicly for a 14mm pcb with an XM-L.

looks like that driver woudl work.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
I want to do a 2D build using 2 x 18650 li-ions (if this is possible)

I have DX 50mm asperical lens on the way.

Please educate me. Thank you

Lately DX, KD, etc (gotta believe they are coming from the same source) asphericals have been of extreme dodgy quality. I have encountered major swirls, micro bubbles and quality issues. Although to the untrained eye these lenses will appear good, in actual usage poor light transmission and multiple or unfocussed images will result. But you may get lucky as my hit ratio has been 1 good to 3 bad.

Last edited: