Lowest price on a Flashlight vs Reputable Dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the "cheapest price" for any flashlight, here are a couple of observations and suggestions. I think a reputable dealer is also important, but of course, the ideal thing would be to have both!

BUT, let me say first, that before logging onto CPF today, I logged into my bank account, and checked my balance, because the holidays "took a toll" on my finances, so I VERY MUCH RESPECT someone wanting to get the best deal for their purchases!

1. Choices are yours and I resepect that. If you want to spend "X" amount of time searching for the best price, go for it! That is what free trade is all about. I purchased a new "Point and Shoot" Olympus Camera, and thought I found the best price at 249.00, but after spending several more hours searching, I found a factory re-ferbished camera, the same model, for 159.00. I was thrilled that to get this camera (retail at over 500.00) for 159.00.

2. BUT, I think a Reputable dealer is also important. Most of us here purchase flashlights on a regular basis, it is not a once in a lifetime purchase. Dealers have to maintain inventory, and have expenses, can give us advice, and WE want the newest and greatest and the best, and it is their job to get it to us.

3. If you have a favorite dealer, and a price on a particular product seems too high, call them and ask for a lower price, or ask why his is higher than competitors.

Things are not always what they seem. Maybe the manufacturer promised the retailer that "this is the lowest price" that I can sell this to anyone. BUT another salesperson for the same manufacturer can make a "LOWER" deal to another retailer. Now the first retailer has ammo to go back to the manufacturer and ask "Why is retailer B selling it cheaper than I can buy it from you?"

3. CALL the retailer and ask "is this your lowest price?" It has been "hinted" here on CPF that online retailers can only advertise a price that is only so low, because of contracts with the manufacturer, but can sell the product lower, as long as it is not advertised or posted. This was posted about SureFire products.

4. Make sure you are buying the latest version of the product. Low prices can be found on old versions of product.

5. Remember you are giving out your credit card number every time you purchase something. I prefer to give it to someone who I trust. I know that there are laws against fraud, and you can usually re-coup your losses to your CC when CC fraud happens, but is it worth the hassel, if you can avoid it?

A friend of mine recently had their Checking Account broken into. They had to close out their bank accounts, open up new ones, get all their bills and direct deposits switched over to a new account, file a police report, and check all their Credit Reports and will have to continusly check their Credit reports to see if any unauthorised activity will be happening.

Before making my first purchase over a year ago for a flashlight, I narrowed the choice down to TTS and Brightguy. Very favorable things had been posted about both retailers, and there had been no negative reports (that I could find anyway) about either vendor. I wanted to choose TTS, only because we are both in Texas, and I tend to want to support people closer to home, but buying from anyone in TX would mean that I would have to pay sales tax. I liked the web site at brightguy better (great for doing research!) so I went with him, and have been satisfied ever since.

I have several "high dollar" lights on my wishlist (m3, Stinger HP, other Streamlight and Surefire lights), and I guarantee you that I will search for the best price, but dealer selection will also be important to me. Esp with a high dollar light, I want to know that I am getting the latest version of the light, and also getting a "genuine" light.

Just my thoughts.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Thanks Budd, there's some sound advice.

Please read it - to those who are initially put off by the long length of the post.

RE: "high dollar" lights, from my point of view if the LIGHT is from a reputable maker that has comprehensive warranty, then go with the cheapest vendor and make use of the maker's support/services if things go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.