Best drop in for 9P (3-CR123a)?

WebHobbit

Enlightened
So I snagged a Surefire 9P from LAPolicegear's closeout sale for 43 bucks! All my lights are CR123a and I've always thought a longer light would be ideal for an "around the house light" as opposed to my carry lights. Anyway I figured this 43 dollar deal would be a great base for a high-output LED drop-in. I recently ordered an 820 (and I know these numbers are bogus compared to Surefire or Malkoff figures) lumen drop in from Solar-force sales in China. It will probably be another 3-4 weeks before it arrives by that SLOW-BOAT. :)

BUT according to the spec page the max voltage is 6:

Are ALL XM-Ls max 6 volt?

I'll list my current Surefire lights and you all tell me what LED engine should go with each body considering that I have the 9P on it's way as well as the 820 X-ML:

1) Surefire 6PX Pro (stock other than an Oveready Clip (this light is currently on it's way back to Surefire to correct the bump-mode change issue) The 6PX-pro is my everyday work light (I work in a warehouse).

2) Surefire 6P - this one has a Malkoff M61, Oveready Triad tailcap & stainless bezel. This is my "combat light" I carry when I carry my gun (in other words my EDC when not at work)

3) Surefire 6P LED - this one has a Surefire 6PLED body tube & a Solarforce head/bezel. It also has a Solarforce 320 lumen drop in. The spec page for this one says it's 4-18v:

Light number three was just sort of my 'around the house/yard light' as far as role.

So what should I do? I could put the 820 drop-in in light number 3.....then put the 320 in the new 9P....or I could shelve the 320 and buy something better that CAN run with 3 CR123as? Another Malkoff? Or is there something cheaper? another custom maker? I'm open to suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:

tolkaze

Enlightened
You could put the 320 lm in the 9P and have longer run times. The M61 would also have a nice long runtime on 3 cells but I wouldn't seperate it from that great setup.

What I would do is try the 820 lumen dropin in the 6P LED and see if you like it over the 320... you will definately notice that it will be floodier, and won't throw as far, but if you like flood, then thats what I would do and shelve the 320.

Personally, I turned my 9P (well... its a 6P with extender and mcclicky softpress tailcap) into a flooder with a tripple and 2x17500... very good light combo

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
The Solarforce drop-in rated at 820 lumens is 500+ lumens out the front. If you plan on using this in a 6P, wrap the drop-in with foil. If you want, I can send you a photo of how it should look.

For the 9P, check out Lumens Factory. They have several XP-G drop-ins from 3.6 volts to 13 volts. I recommend the High CRI single mode drop-in. It has warm white tint and 190+ lumens.

Robert C

Newly Enlightened
I have a G3 body and just ordered an aluminum head from Overready and a Malkoff M60F. I'm expecting it to be delivered this week and I'll be putting it to use this weekend. For what I want to use it for I need room-lighting flood. Swapping out the synthetic head for an aluminum one should handle the extra heat (wouldn't be an issue for you with the 9p).

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Get yourself an A19 extender. Then you can run 2x17670s, or get her bored too and youll have a nice 2x18650 light. And then you can get it cerakoted and thennnn

DSC00935.JPG

DSC00936.JPG

Well then put an M91W in it and its a monster. Or an M61LL and itll run 100 lumens for days. Thats what this one is for anyways.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I'm fairly committed to sticking with the CR123a. It's just easier for commonality with all my lights.

And at this point I am leaning toward ordering another M61 for the 9P, shelving the 320 and putting the 820 in the Solar-force headed light. BTW - Malkoff has the M61 on sale right now for $55.00.

Last edited:

mbw_151

Enlightened
+1 on the M61L or M61WL depending on your tint preference. This will run about 7 hours. Good reach and good spill, very practical. If you need even longer runtime at a slightly lower output a M61LL or M61WLL will run about 12 hours. Same great beam pattern, a little less reach. I keep a 9P with an M61WL in my truck and use a C3 with the M61WLL for camping. Last summer camping, one of the girls left the C3 on all night hanging over the picnic table. It had enough left for 4 more hours the next night before it started to seriously fade.

Latest posts