Arctic thermal adhesive

mikesantor

Enlightened
I was looking to mod a Maratac AAA with an XPG. This is my first mod of any kind. There are 3 different cavities in the pill. I wanted to fill them with some kind of thermal adhesive. Since this is going on both sides of the driver it obviously can not be conductive. The thing is every time I google "non conductive thermal paste" this is the one that comes up. Here is the exact product im looking at:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive.htm

I
want it to be permanent thus the reasion for the adhesive. Plus I have some so I would not have to buy any. The info says that it is non conductive but suggest not putting it on something that can ark. I dont understand how something that claims to be around 65% pure silver can NOT be conductive. Does anyone have any advice on this? Do you guys think this would work?

thanks for any insight for the noob!

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Arctic Alumina doesn't have silver in it, it has ceramics instead and is a 100% electrical insulator. Arctic Silver has the silver in it.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work very well unless a very thin layer so probably not the best for filling voids...

I used a thermal potting compound (black) from an electronics place here (UK) to fill the void which housed a driver board in a couple of lights I made. Its thinner so flows well and takes longer to cure but goes off hard supposedly with no shrinkage. Seems ok so far.

moderator007

Enlightened
The link you gave is for Arctic Alumina. It does not contain silver. " Arctic Alumina Adhesive uses a layered composite of aluminum oxide and boron nitride."
"Although lighter per set than Arctic Silver Adhesive due to its use of ceramics rather than silver, each set of Arctic Alumina Adhesive contains the same amount of adhesive by volume as a set of Arctic Silver adhesive and will cover the same area."

Artic Silver thermal Adhesive does contain silver. Are you sure you have Artic Alumina or do you have Artic Silver? Artic Aumina should work fine.
What I use is cheap dealextreme FUJIK Silicone thermal glue. Sometimes I like to take things apart I have already modded so I can mod them again. The Fujik will usually release with a little work allowing you to take it apart if you need to. Not the best thermal glue but does seem to work well. With the Artic Alumina adhesive you will probably destroy it if you try to take it a part.

Papalumen beat me to it while I was typing.:whistle:

Last edited:

mikesantor

Enlightened
Nope, I have the product I linked too. I dont know where I got in my head that the alumina had silver in it...

So pappa says he dosnt think the alumina will work very well for filling voids and Mod007 says it should work fine. Can I get a 3rd person to persuade me one way or the other? The voids in the Maratac AAA are pretty small. we are talking like 1/8'' gaps for each cavity. So its not like im putting a few inches of it. I just want something that will adhere all the parts together and also aid in transferring heat. I am NOT worried about upgrading at a later time so actual adhesive will be fine.

Thanks.

Al Combs

Enlightened
The description for Arctic Silver epoxy says it is "slightly capacitive". That's probably what you remember reading. But it's not conductive. An LED for instance would suffer no ill effects from a little Arctic Silver on the electrical contacts. But a high impedance device like some of the contacts on a driver board might be. Think of it like wiring an extra capacitor into the circuit. In any case since you're using Arctic Alumina adhesive, so you don't have to worry.

PapaLumen is right about thermal compounds in general performing better with a layer as thin as possible. But then again, it's not as though there was something else out there that would perform better as a potting compound than Arctic Alumina. IOW, don't worry about it.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Al has said, might as well use the Arctic Alumina. Think about it, if you're not using it you've got air in that gap. Air has a thermal conductivity of something like 0.025 W/m.K while AA is something like 5 W/m.K (I think?). While I can think of lots of things that might work better, they're mostly unsuitable. So in a choice between using air or AA, there's definitely no harm in going for the AA.