LED help

sniper

Enlightened
I'm thinking about another flashlight modding project...a 3 C cell MagLite done similar to one in an article I found in the archives.

Problem is, it appears there are now better options than the Luxeon III, but I am not sure what to buy, or the brand for a really bright, cool to neutral white tint for the emitter would be, and who sells them? Any specific recommendations?

Does buying a star solve some of the mounting problems? Is it possible just to mount the star to a heat sink, and go from there?

Also, where can the teflon coated wire be found? I recall the last project I did, the strands were so fine, that it was nearly impossible to strip them without cutting about half of the strands. Is there a way to avoid this? What gauge should I get for the project?

What size resistor would I need?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sniper,

The current hot button is XML for the LED. U2 is currently the highest available bin. Its like 1000 lumens at 3 amp.

Here is a chart that gives the color bins
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/199/ansiwhite.jpg/

If you are looking to keep the build simple I'd get an XML on a 14MM star and put it on one of these heat sinks.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...0-********-H22A-Heatsinks-********&highlight=

Since your using 3 C cells here is a cheap driver that I love.
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-132/3-dsh-Mode-Regulated-Circuit-Board/Detail

Al Combs

Enlightened
+1 to Vesture's recommendation of the ShiningBeam driver with an XM-L U2. The P7 Flat Top 'C' for the H22A heatsink because the DHS is hollow inside. If you get an XM-L on a 12.8mm star, it only takes a little filing to fit in the fingers of a standard H22A P7 'C' heatsink. A big help at keeping it centered while the Arctic Silver epoxy hardens. Is your Mag-3C one of the newer ones with a 'C' as the first digit of the serial number? The older MagC's had a larger ID battery tube. The H22A P7's are ≈26.2mm OD if you want to measure the front of your battery tube to check.

If it's to upgrade an old favorite Mag-3C, then LSD-NiMH is a good choice. They will hold a charge for over a year without going dead. You can also go with 3*4/5 Sub-C's in a Mag-2C or an single 18650 in a PVC sleeve you get at the hardware store. An 18650 will require a spacer. I personally like the length of the 2C-Mag's better than the 3C.

EBay is a good source for Teflon wire. Use 24 gauge or larger for 3 amps. If money is no object, Stripmaster is arguably the very best wire stripper available. I use a razor blade and an eye loupe while bending the Teflon and cutting on the outside radius of the sleeve for perhaps 45°. Rotate and cut again until you make it all the way around. You don't have to cut all the way through the Teflon sleeve. When it's thin enough to see the wire through the translucent piece remaining, it's thin enough to break by pulling. Craig in the Marketplace is a good source for one stop shopping. He sells the Teflon wire, the 2.8 amp regulator, the Arctic Alumina epoxy and the star mounted XM-L. I think The 26 gauge wire he sells is OK for lengths as short as what's in a flashlight.