Zebralight SC51 Disassembly?

DirtyRat

Newly Enlightened
After work yesterday, I toss aside my work shirt, and hear it jingle. Having already cleared my pocket tools, I went in for a closer look. Out of my shirt pocket dropped a ring, an O-ring, a clear disc, and a cone. Didn't realize what I had until I saw the orange peel texture to the cone. To my horror I grabbed my Zebralight and saw a bare LED with nothing protecting it.

I have no idea what happened. I keep my SC51 in my shirt pocket with the clip. Use it frequently everyday, and sometime today, the trim ring fell out of the light and let the guts out into my pocket.

Fortunately all the pieces seemed to be present, glad it didn't fall apart in use, when I may have missed something. Anyhow, assuming the cone drops in first, then the O-ring, lens, and finally trim ring, I hastily reassembled it yesterday evening so nothing would be lost. Upon final inspection it seems when I turned the light upside down to press the ring in by pushing down onto the counter, it apears the cone dropped, and didn't settle back around the LED. It's raised slightly on one corner. Seeing how it shouldn't come apart on its own, I have no idea how to remove the trim ring to try to resettle things.

My trim ring isn't quite flush with the body, it protrudes ever so slightly now, does it typically sit flush, or even recess into the body?

Comments and advice are very welcome!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It's a new one to me, too. On my SC50 the trim ring fits flush. It may be raised a hair, as I can feel it with a finger nail, but that's it. I'd want to get it out and start over. Not sure how, without tearing it up.

Good luck

Geoff

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey uh, that is actually a rare opportunity, I for one would love some pictures if the thing falls apart on you again or if you are feeling froggy and want to work the ring loose once more. ;-)
I wonder if red thread lock would seal it up good once and for all? No threads I know but it would make for some wicked shear friction.

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened
That sure is rare.
I wonder if you didn't include the reflector, would it be a nice flood light?

bansuri

Enlightened
You might be able to get the ring back out by using a razor blade to grab the side of the ring and slowly work it out.
If there is a gap between the ring and the lens you may also be able to carefully insert the blade between them and work your way around.
Try to keep the ring on-axis to avoid resistance.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What battery did you have in it? I wonder if there was a pressure build up and that caused the retaining ring (which may not have been a very tight fit on yours) to be pushed out.

DirtyRat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link to ZL lens replacement. My CPF search didn't net that, so good find. It does require breaking the lens to remove it, so I'll just see how things progress.

As to what battery I had in the light, I was using a Powerex Imdeion 2400mAh battery. The battery shows no signs of leakage or bulging, and also continues to work fine.

As far as the ZL being a flood light without the reflector, yes, very much so. Being curious I fired up the light without the lens or reflector installed and it gives an even bright light throughout the diameter of the beam. There is no hotspot what so ever, just a very defined lit ring of light. I didn't play with it like this very much, it seemed to give a bluish hue if I recall, but I really wasn't paying much attention as I only checked it out briefly.

And I also apologize to the curious, I didn't realize this was such a rare occurrence, although I've browsed the forums for a spell and never heard about it. I had considered snapping a few pictures, but ultimately just threw it together in a hurry so as to not loose any tidbits. We've got a 16 month old boy running around, and a one week old as well. Seemed unfair to burden mom with the two children while I was trying to get the best lighting for a few pictures. Although should the lens drop out again the children will be older...may snap a few pictures then.

Thanks for the suggestion about red lock tight, I thought the same thing, and have a tube at work. I figured I'd use that if it falls apart again.

Lastly, for a attempted 'clean' dis-assembly, I tossed the ZL in the freezer for an hour. My idea here was to have the trim ring shrink, ever so slightly with the cold. Then I was planning on removing the light, and wrapping the head of the light with something very warm to expand the head of the light and allow the trim ring to drop out. The theory works better than the practice. Well, that and I couldn't decide what to toss in the oven to wrap around the light, so I just wrapped it with my hand hoping body heat would do the trick. It didn't, ring stayed snug. (It really did seem to push in tight, which is why I was so amazed that it came apart on its own)

Thanks for the thoughts so far, I have no intention of buggering anything up, as I really like the light. (I posted a 'Need a light suggestion' thread months back as a mechanic in need of a good light to replace my failing Coast light(s). I went with the SC51, and have been blown away by its quality so far) (Also why I didn't title my post 'POS ZL fell apart! What a hunk of junk!' Because I don't want the casual forum browser to think I'm dissatisfied with the light. Very pleased overall.) I'll keep an eye on the trim ring and see if it loosens up again, then I'll be a little less hurried about fixing it again.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Seemed unfair to burden mom with the two children while I was trying to get the best lighting for a few pictures." -DirtyRat

-good man.