KL1 head as P61 host?

paulr

Flashaholic
Thinking about the heat problems in the E2e/P61 combo as made by McGizmo and This_is_nascar. Don's page suggests that a slightly larger and finned head could get rid of the heat better. Well, Surefire already makes a slightly larger, finned head--the KL1. Another possibility is a McLux head. Any chance either of these could host the P61 bulb, and would they deal with the heat better? Just a thought.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too much work required. An easier solution is to use an E2c adapter coupled with a C2/C3 bezel. This one is made by McGizmo I believe, but Dspeck is taking orders now. The one on the left is a C3 bezel on an E2e. It uses a Pila lamp and Li-Ion cell. You can also use 2x123 and P60/61. Very versatile mod.
fb1a5670.jpg

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I agree with CM. By time you bulk out a head to handle the heat, you might as well use either version of the E2C and a C2 bezel. Don't forget, you're still at a dissadvantage, since the E2E body is not as large as the classic 6P, etc, so you don't get as much heat sink with the E2E body.

paulr

Flashaholic
Does the 6P body actually provide significant heat sinking? I would have guessed not, since the G2 is "approved" for use with the P61, and its nitrolon body surely can't sink much heat. The c2 bezel looks an awful lot bigger than the KL1. I guess I'd go for the modded e2e bezel and just not run it too long at a time. That saves on batteries too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Paulr,

I read your post and realized that I hadn't given any thought to the P series LA's. I seem to be stuck on LED's these days. Anyways, in regards to a larger finned head, how about a stock McLux-PR that has been bored out to .750". That is the integral bulkhead gets removed with a 3/4" hole in its place:

McLux-PR-Pseries.jpg

I should probably start a new thread on this but I need to get back to some mods I have promised.....

Oh yeah, it works like a charm and the LA is captive since it loads from the front. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am getting some variations of the McLux-PR quoted already so I may need to add this one as well.

- Don