Nitecore EZ-AA R5 Owners- Any issues?

jondotcom

Enlightened
ead about issues with other models but for those that like this model I don't find complaints....

Mine seems to be flawless with exception of how the lanyard hole was drilled. Is this normal? The amount of metal on the side is about exactly how much wear I expect a lanyard or keyring to wear into it over time. I tend to baby my lights, but this looks like it could cause an issue down the road.

I'd expect this on a cheap light, but not at this price point.
ezaa023.jpg

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads were really loose on my EZ AA R5 and the o-ring was really thin. My first o-ring tore up almost immediately due to this when I tried changing the battery.

I put in the spare o-ring and now it feels ok. However, the light still requires what I consider an excessive amount of care when changing the battery to avoid destroying the o-ring.

I also don't like how one-handed operation is awkward. It's very easy when turning on the light to have the light register a double-on off and then enter the ramping mode.

When these problems were combined I quickly decided that the EZAA R5 was unsuitable for EDC use.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sold mine pretty soon after buying it. No tension in twisting, as if the o-ring is non-existent and it's considered big for a AA twisty by today's standard. Personally, I don't like the UI, prefer the older EZ AA (R2, Q5 & W) with twist for low and further twist for hi. The upside is that's it's bright compared to others in the same category and it's pretty well made in terms of machining and anodizing.

davecroft

Enlightened
DSC00397.jpg
Hi
I have got a brace of these. They work fine, no problems, but I had to send one back to the dealer twice before I got a good one - the UI on both the lights he sent me was faulty. Although I reckon this was down to the dealer re-cycling returned lights.

I use one fairly regularly, the other is in its box as a spare. I'm not keen on the UI as it takes too long to change levels, but apart from that I find it a solid light, well built and with a nice bright reasonably white beam.

Personally I don't think it is big for a twisty AA light at all, only a shade longer than my Fenix LD15 and Olight i2.

Neither of mine have any issues re. the lanyard hole as you can see.

Last edited: