Step down from turbo after a few minutes... How noticeable?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few lights I'm contemplating. But, they have a circuit programmed step down after a few moments for heat considerations. There are several brands that have models like this. Eagletac G25C2, for example.

How noticeable is this reduction in use? Do you notice it occasionally, only if looking for it or every time ?

mrlysle

Enlightened
Hi Phaserburn. My Eagletac T20C2 MKII steps down, as does both of my HDS lights. In all honesty? You almost HAVE to be looking for it to really notice it. I personally think it's a good feature because it makes such a difference in runtime, and I realize on some lights, particularly with an XM-L, they step it down for thermal concerns also. There are many that will disagree with me here, stating that they want FULL control over their light. That's fine, I understand that. Me, I'd rather concentrate on the task at hand, and having the light provide me a little runtime bonus with a stepdown I don't even notice is a plus for me. Just my personal feelings.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the HDS lights I've used, the step down is unnoticeable unless you're looking for it.

tony613

Newly Enlightened
I agree with mrlysle and the.Mtn.Man. I have a ZebraLight H600W that also steps down from turbo after three minutes. To find out how much it really mattered, I tested it in my dark basement while keeping still and timing it with a stopwatch to make sure I didn't blink when the step down occurred. Could I see it step down in that test? Yes. Is it enough to really detract from this light? For me, no. Others may have very different opinions. It is much less noticeable in real use, to the point that you could miss it with this light as well.

By the way, with the ZebraLight, you can also test the difference between the two modes instantly by selecting between turbo and high. And you can go back to turbo for another thee minutes any time you like by turing the light off and back on, although that could be inconvenient, and fortunately for me not necessary. This light definitely does get warm/hot in turbo mode.

In my humble opinion, if you found a light that meets all of your criteria but are hesitating only because of the auto step down, I would say not to worry and get it.

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Some step down from heat gradually and those kinda bug me because you wouldn't notice it. The ones that step down after time you can usually tell when they go and then you can turn them off and back on and they will reset to full brightness but then you have to use common sense or you could just leave it on if it was still enough light.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Phaserburn. My Eagletac T20C2 MKII steps down, as does both of my HDS lights. In all honesty? You almost HAVE to be looking for it to really notice it. I personally think it's a good feature because it makes such a difference in runtime, and I realize on some lights, particularly with an XM-L, they step it down for thermal concerns also. There are many that will disagree with me here, stating that they want FULL control over their light. That's fine, I understand that. Me, I'd rather concentrate on the task at hand, and having the light provide me a little runtime bonus with a stepdown I don't even notice is a plus for me. Just my personal feelings.

Interesting. I'm wondering, if it's really not that noticeable, why bother with it? The only reason I can think of is the sales value in advertising a higher lumen count.