Is my LED diode dying ?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is my LED diode dying ? the light shines bright for short time then it flicker. it turn off. There was no heat given off from the light.

Should I replace the LED ?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light flickering and turning off could be caused by a few factors. What light are you talking about? What battery are you using? Sounds more like a battery issue not being able to cope with the high current draw, or it could be a circuitry issue. Dying LED may flicker too and the first sign would be dimming of the light (no longer look as bright), and if you look at the emitter you should see dark spot which is a sign that the diode is being toasted.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some more info about what's going on would be helpful. Like pjandyho asked, what battery are you using? What light? Is the battery fresh/fully charged? How long have you had the light, and how much use has it gotten? What current gets sent through it on the mode(s) you use?

(FYI, LED stands for Light Emitting Diode, so to call it an LED diode is redundant ;) )

ragweed

Enlightened
If its a clicky, try tightening the switch. My light was flickering & after tightening it worked perfectly.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't sound like an LED problem, it's somewhere in the power delivery, either the driver, battery, or electrical contacts/switch need cleaning/repair.