4sevens 123^2 XP-G vs. XM-L and Turbo-X runtime and output ect.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
So the Quark tactical interface has always been my favorite next to something like a HDS light, but 230lm wasn't all that great for the price (I have gotten a Jetbeam BC25, BC20 and a Klarus NT20 each for less than a Quark 123^2 and the later 2 are XP-G's). Now I really want to get one a 123^2 "X" but I don't like how the output starts dropping immediately I wish it would just come on at around 480lm and stay there for 2 or 3 min before dropping to 360lm, like a timed 3-5 min step down on the Jetbeams ect.

The XP-G model start at about 245lm (probably just from the batteries voltage being greater at start up idk) quickly goes to 230 and stays there where the XM-L starts at over 500 soon drops to 480 then keeps dropping to about 450-430 where at 3 min it dive bombs to 360 from thermal regulation where it levels off. It would be great if it just turned on at 4XX then at 3 min went to 360 and that was it.

I couldn't find one but has anyone tested the Turbo X with a run time graph? Does its heat sinking help it maintain a higher brightness longer?

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XM-L starts at over 500 soon drops to 480 then keeps dropping to about 450-430
where at 3 min it dive bombs to 360 from thermal regulation where it levels off.
It would be great if it just turned on at 4XX then at 3 min went to 360 and that was it.

I have the Turbo X.
I couldn't detect the regulated step down from Turbo to Hi.
So I pointed it at a white wall in a bathroom, payed really close attention,
and detected a very small, barely noticeable flick around 4 minutes.
But you are not going to see a difference from 520 lumens to 480 lumens in those first 4 minutes of non-regulation,
as the voltage of the batteries starts to drop just a little bit.
This is a little too OCD, even for a flashaholic.

Does its heat sinking help it maintain a higher brightness longer?

It is a "timed" step down at 4 minutes from Turbo to Hi to thermally protect the light.
It has nothing to do with heat sinking, which it has a lot of.
IMO, this step down was not needed on such a well built light.
Even so, if you turn the light off and back on, or change the mode,
the Turbo brightness will resume for another 4 minutes.
I have done this repeatedly and the light doesn't get warm.

I think there is a "thermal regulation" that kicks in when the light gets too warm,
and then the modes will keep dropping down until the light shuts off to protect itself from overheating.
Like if you set the light face down on a table when it is on.

It would be great if it just turned on at 4XX then at 3 min went to 360 and that was it.

That's pretty much what it does.
You've over-analyzed this.

I couldn't find one but has anyone tested the Turbo X with a run time graph?

I have not seen a Turbo "X" run time graph. It should be about the same as the Quark "X" 1232​.

Q1232X-HiRCR.gif

Last edited:

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
Can you see the difference?
It's partially due to heat buildup, and that is difficult to avoid in any light.