Palight star as nightlight?

KnifeGeek

Newly Enlightened
Hey all I've been looking for a nightlight for my nephew to use while camping. How is the always on mode be as a nightlight without disturbing the other boys in the same cabin?

Thanks

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If it's like my old Palight it would not disturb anyone else. It's a very dim glow that's well focused.

Geoff

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
The red one is OK. The white (and blue) actually look pretty bright once your eyes get dark adapted.

KnifeGeek

Newly Enlightened
Great. Thanks guys. That confirms my thoughts that this is the right light for him

Mikellen

Enlightened
I keep 2 of the Palights in my bedroom. I doesn't disturb me at all. Also keep one in the bathroom as well. Helps for night navigation.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
If it is for camping you might find the Survival model is better suited, as it has a lo setting.

I've found the brightness of the "Locator glow" setting is a bit variable on my Stars - most are just enough to navigate around in complete darkness with night adapted eyes, but one example is much less bright (but the same brightness on Hi).

If the Locator glow is too bright it is easy enough to position the light so it is shining into something that blocks most of the light so it isn't disturbing anyone else.

If you want much longer battery life then get an unjacketed Ultralife lithium battery for it (they fit fine, not like the jacketed version of the same battery which will get jammed in the body of the light).

I quite like my PAlights, they make a great night light and also an emergency (power outage) light. I have 4 scattered around the house in strategic locations.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a first flashlight/nightlight for a child I like the idea of the Palight, but there is a simpler design out there (Pak-Lite) that is very light and has very little volume as well, as it doesn't bother with a cover for the 9 volt. Pak-lite has about 31 flavors of light options, I'd like to do a bulk buy without the batteries. You can tell they are of the same licencing lineage, I think that Pak-lite came first, not that that matters.