Stand for LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mporter

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie here, so please forgive me if this tip has been posted before.

To make a tail stand for my new LSH-P, I found that semi-flexible PVC tubing with an ID of 3/4-inch is a perfect press fit over the rubber switch. I cut about a 1/2-inch length, just longer than the rubber switch. In place, it adds almost nothing to the dimensions of the light, so it's easy to carry with me. That it's soft and flexible also helps.

Now, when I want, I can stand my LS up and get a diffuse light bouncing off the ceiling.

A more elegant looking but slightly bulkier stand is the standard 3/4 inch PVC pipe plug. It has a flat octagonal base and an inside diameter and length just right to press fit the LS switch. Works perfectly off the shelf. No modification necessary.

Mrd 74

Enlightened
This is a great tip,now if someone would make these in knurled aluminum with HA111 he would have no problem selling them.Thanks mporter
Mike

mporter

Newly Enlightened
I'm not so sure I would like the hard knurled aluminum as well as the softer plastic tubing. The soft tubing makes for a comfortable carry. Also it's practically free.

If it's hard and sturdy you want, you can't beat the 3/4" PVC pipe plug. It looks like it was made for the purpose and it costs 45 cents. if you misplace it, you can replace it at any hardware store.

Gandalf

Enlightened
I find this raher amusing, as one of the primary design concepts of the Arc-LS was the *flat* (twisty) tailcap *specifically* to allow for standing the light on end, with out any accessories. (Same for the Arc-AA.....)

I do not, and will not, ever own one of those POS Kroll tailpacks for my Arc-LS's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif. They turn on with a very small amount of pressure, and are generally not of very high quality manufactureing, IMHO. Get a 123 tristy, while you still can... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Zeppert

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gandalf said:
I do not, and will not, ever own one of those POS Kroll tailpacks for my Arc-LS's

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just the opposite, I would only use the LS with a kroll. I love & need the one-hand operation.

mporter

Newly Enlightened
It may be true what you say about the Krolls but my usage requires a tailswitch. I wouldn't be willing to give up the ability to do short intermittent busts of light. This is far more useful to me than being able to stand the light on end. Also, a simple 1/2-inch length of PVC tubing let's me have it both ways.

So far I have not had any problem with the Kroll turning on when I didn't want it to even though I carry it in my pocket all the time. The amount of pressure needed to turn it on seems just right to me.

Regarding this issue, a bonus to the piece of tubing is that it will help protect the switch from bumps.

There's one more reason why I perfer the Kroll. I have a long time habit of holding a small flashlight in my teeth while I illuminate some work requiring two hands. The rubber Kroll switch and the LS works better for this than any flashlight I have ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts