New Mini Maglite Pro+ LED Flashlight

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my new Mini Mag Pro+ from Brightguy.com. First impressions are, its a Maglite! Same look, with the same twist for spot / flood beam. The interface is somewhat different. Point the light down and it turns on in low mode. Turn the light on in any other position and it turns on in high mode. It appears just a little longer than the old 2AA maglight with just a slightly smaller head, but I don't have one to compare to. I will have to wait until night to compare but the light seems more like around 200 lumens that 245 to me.

minimagpro2.jpg

minimagpro1.jpg

minimagpro3.jpg

minimagpro4.jpg

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
cool, let us know how it is when it gets dark! Just ordered mine after seeing this post. Can't find them anywhere else. Another poster showed some beam shots that have been taken down now, but it looked warmer than the xl series. Do you have any of the XL's to compare it to?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. Although if it's ANSI rated at 245 lumens, I'm not sure I'd believe it's only making 200 lumens as a visual observation.

Crushmaster

Newly Enlightened
A new US-made flashlight out on the market - excellent. :thumbsup: Thanks for posting - I look forward to seeing beamshots.
God bless,
Joel ><>.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
HitTheSpot,

You mentioned pointing down will switch to low mode, what if I want to use high mode when I am pointing downward to look for things.

It's only when you turn the light on. If you point the light down "when you turn it on" it will turn on in low mode. If you point the light in any other direction "when you turn it on" it will turn on in high mode.

Hope this helps clarify.

Bill

StudFreeman

Enlightened
I check if PWM is being used by waving my hand right in front of a light. Works first time, everytime :thumbsup:. If PWM is slow enough, ala Rebel MiniMags, you can see weird single frames of your fingers. Hopefully Pro/+ uses a good old current limiting circuit though.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I would find the discharge graph on low at 25% rather amusing.

27 hours...?

Why the disclaimer not to use lithium "AA" and NiMh?

Last edited:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
I assume the emitter used is a XP-G (can anyone verify)? Assuming the emitter is a XP-G (bin obviously unknown, assume at least R5) a little math can be done on the amp draw.

245 lumens OTF would mean approximately ~320 emitter lumens (75% optical efficiency). To reach 320 emitter lumens a current draw would be in the neighborhood of 900 to 1000ma. With a Vf of around 3.35 @ 1000ma that would mean a power consumption (Pout) of 3.35 watts. Obviously Pin does not equal Pout so I'll throw out guess of a DC boost circuit efficiency of lets say around 80%. That would mean a Pin of 4.19 watts. Current draw of a 2AA nimh setup would be ~1.75 amps.. ouch.

This is all purely speculation, but just something to think about.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Oh yea forgot to add, can anyone unscrew the head and see how good the thermal contact of the pill/module is with the battery tube? 245 lumens OTF is nice and all... but it wont mean much if there is a poor thermal path.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is definately regulated, I would expect to see a drop to 25 or 50% after 12 minutes. I'll post runtime graphs after I get my samples...

wheel

Newly Enlightened
It is definately regulated, I would expect to see a drop to 25 or 50% after 12 minutes. I'll post runtime graphs after I get my samples...

Thanks Robin, looking forward to your results. Ordered one today, expect it by thursday.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Why the disclaimer not to use lithium "AA" and NiMh?

L92 and NiMH cells really should be fine. My older (Rebel) Minimag was brightest and ran longest on lithium primaries, and crappy Energizer 2500s were close but didn't run as long. The old Minimag Rebels just used a voltage boost converter though, and current to the emitter varied with voltage input. Shouldn't be an issue with the Pro lights, as they're probably regulated like the XL and ML lights (alkalines- :sick2:...NiMH-:cool:).

I chock up the warning/advisory to a conspiracy with the big battery manufacturers...