Wife's reaction to the new ML100...

Robert C

Newly Enlightened
...was just what I expected. I was trying to show her how to click through the different levels and she said "why does it need to be so complicated, it's just a flashlight...you turn it on and you turn it off."

She also didn't care to hear about longer run time or brighter output.

I guess we'll be keeping the old Incan model in the kitchen drawer alongside the new light :)

fonaryk

Newly Enlightened
...was just what I expected. I was trying to show her how to click through the different levels and she said "why does it need to be so complicated, it's just a flashlight...you turn it on and you turn it off."

I guess we'll be keeping the old Incan model in the kitchen drawer alongside the new light :)

I feel your pain. At least my wife is more receptive to some of the knives I bring home and she does appreciate the power of some of the lights. Ultimately, I am alone in my little world when it comes to my hobbies. She simply thinks I am a man of odd enthusiasms. Perhaps my son can be trained before it's too late.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two things I wonder about the ML series before I bite is whether or not the electronic switch is a battery vampire, and if they'll be seeing any accessories for them since the head is narrower. (Anti roll, traffic wands, etc.)

Cheapskate

Enlightened
I know this will sound traitorous to the ethos of flashoholcism, but your wife's reaction is perfectly sensible and is a realistic assessment of a UI. Show any non flashoholic something like a Sunwayman V10A or any light with a control ring with clickie interface and they can 'get it'. If the UI requires any explanation in print, it is a fail.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say you earned one "yup" the next time she asks....."do I look fat in this" :p

disclaimer: you didn't get this from me and use at your own peril.....

Last edited:

betweenrides

Newly Enlightened

That could've been me Sunday night. The wife asked me to give her 3-4 lights for a friend's husband to look at for critter spotting and dog walking. I dutifully picked 3: A flood, a middle of the road and a thrower. I explained the modes and how to change and she went glassy eyed and made the exact same comment. I ended up writing a page of notes for the husband so he would know how to work them and understand what he was looking at.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say you earned one "yup" the next time she asks....."do I look fat in this" :p

disclaimer: you didn't get this from me and use at your own peril.....

And you can use all the time she's not talking to you to play with your flashlights! Not to mention moonlight mode is great for getting abck to the couch after a nighttime bathroom trip.

someguy4747

Newly Enlightened

Sounds like my girlfriend when I tried to explain to her the preset levels and how to access them on my HDS Rotary. I got a sarcastic, "Great!".

I know this will sound traitorous to the ethos of flashoholcism, but your wife's reaction is perfectly sensible and is a realistic assessment of a UI. Show any non flashoholic something like a Sunwayman V10A or any light with a control ring with clickie interface and they can 'get it'. If the UI requires any explanation in print, it is a fail.
If you only need a single mode light than a simple on and off UI is fine. Some of us want to be able to easily access multiple modes moonlight, medium, max or strobe. This requires a more complicated UI but allows for a more sophisticated user. You are right though, control ring is a big UI improvement. I gave my dad a Fenix LD20. It has never been used on anything but turbo. I'm sure if he had a light with a control ring he would at least know how to get to a low or medium mode. I guess some UI's are not meant for some people.