Hosts & Drop-In Leds - Newbie FAQ

Draven451

Enlightened
Hello CPFers!I have been a member of this forum for many years but lurked prior to joining. I have always been fascinated with flashlights and with the new technology that has evolved our love for better more efficient illumination. While I have primarily only purchased complete lights because the thought of trying to put together my own light seemed confusing I always shied away from threads/posts about surefire hosts and drop-in leds.

Recently as I have been spending more time on the boards the idea of getting a bored surefire or another host adequate for an 18650 cell seems more and more appealing.Since I am new to this type of setup and seeing how searches on this subject only bring up separate threads with no real newbie friendly instructions or FAQ on how it works, what to avoid and suggestions.

As I start reading threads I hear about solarforce, surefire, malkoff, nailbender - its becoming a mindbender to understand it all and that doesn't even include the switches and other parts!

I thought I would request from experienced members who create these type of lights to help create a FAQ so newer members and/or members interested could have a single and simple thread to explain how it works and how to put together thier own light.
In the spirit of CPF can you help another flashaholic out? :wave:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pick a host, a compatible dropin, and match the voltage demands. Most 18650s are good for a 2-amp current draw easily, most RCR123s up to about 1 amp. 2 RCR123s is about the same size as 1 18650, and most lithium-ion cells are up to 4.2v when freshly charged. There are some special ones that are lower voltage.

You get what you pay for. Don't go supercheap on batteries and then be surprised when they suck.

For example
Solarforce L2 ($15)
AW 18650 ($10)
WF-139 charger ($12)
Basic dropin (common acceptable voltage ranges are: 0.9-4.2v, 3-4.8v, 3-6v, anything that includes 3 and 4.2v) ($15+)
Initial investment of $52, BUT then it's only $15+ to upgrade the light.