Highly Efficient Spray-On Antenna

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is pretty interesting stuff with some rather remarkable properties; a potential game changer, assuming it really works as claimed.

Wireless in a Can -CNET

Wall Street Journal

antenx.JPG

Norm

Retired Administrator
Being involved in amateur radio for almost 30 years and building a lot of VHF / UHF antennas over the years I'm calling shinanigans on this one. I would like to be proven wrong but does the quote below sound as if it was written by an advertising company or a qualified RF engineer?

But Chamtech's spray-on antenna is a real product with some impressive claims. It can be sprayed on almost any surface, even trees and orange barrels. It doesn't suck up power. It works in a mysterious nanotech way.

Anyone can make claims but making claims isn't the same as a well documented test report.
I'll beleive it when some creadable papers are released.

Norm

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
This concept really does seem bogus and hard to believe and there are certainly many red flags. These are BIG claims being made here. On the other hand, I find it interesting that this company would present at Google's "Solve for <X>" conference or even be accepted as a presenter for that matter. Solve for X is Google's version of the TED conferences and one would think they must vet their speakers. While we haven't seen too many nanotech products actually make it to the market, nano capacitors are in fact a real thing, so I guess it's possible. They keep telling us that nanotechnology will change the world as we know it, so maybe it will start to happen one of these days. It is also interesting that Chamtech at least claims to be marketing to government customers initially and then medical device manufacturers and the mobile phone industry. Unlike marketing cans of this stuff through late night infomercials, if this product is a fraud it certainly won't get too far in these circles. And Mr. Sutera seems to come off as humble and sincere in his video presentation as well. It will be interesting to keep an eye on this and see what comes of it, if anything. I do wonder what a can of this material goes for?

Last edited:

MikeAusC

Enlightened
There's nothing new about spray-on conductive metal coatings.

Nickel based spray-on coatings have been used for decades to spray or paint on plastic housings to STOP radio signals passing through. It's cheaper and lighter than using a metal housing.

Suddenly labelling the can as conductive metal that can be applied in pattern that acts as an aerial is hardly a breakthrough.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being involved in amateur radio for almost 30 years and building a lot of VHF / UHF antennas over the years I'm calling shinanigans on this one. I would like to be proven wrong but does the quote below sound as if it was written by an advertising company or a qualified RF engineer?

But Chamtech's spray-on antenna is a real product with some impressive claims. It can be sprayed on almost any surface, even trees and orange barrels. It doesn't suck up power. It works in a mysterious nanotech way.

Anyone can make claims but making claims isn't the same as a well documented test report.
I'll beleive it when some creadable papers are released.

Norm

That statement was made by Amanda Kooser, a young feature writer for CNET and not something put forth by ChamTech or its CEO Anthony Sutera. In the same article Ms. Kooser also made the ridiculous remark that, "If all these claims bear out, then I can see everybody wanting to get their hands on a fresh can full of antenna. My only question is where in the grocery store it will be stocked: with the spray cheese or with the gold food paint?"

It is hardly fair to judge this company or its product on dumb quotes from third parties. The linked Wall Street Journal article was written by a more qualified journalist and was one reason I included it. Still, I think Norm is absolutely right in wanting to see some credible documentation about this technology.

There's nothing new about spray-on conductive metal coatings.

Nickel based spray-on coatings have been used for decades to spray or paint on plastic housings to STOP radio signals passing through. It's cheaper and lighter than using a metal housing.

Suddenly labelling the can as conductive metal that can be applied in pattern that acts as an aerial is hardly a breakthrough.

It is true that spray-on metallic coatings have been around for quite some time. In fact, here is an article from a 2001 issue of Signal Magazine titled, "Spray-on Antennas Make Their Mark". The difference seems to be that the article refers to stenciling nickel or silver spray paint onto surfaces in more traditional antenna configurations and patterns, whereas the ChamTech product is demonstrated being sprayed randomly onto trees and other objects. If their product really does work as claimed it seems to be more a breakthrough in materials science than antenna design, although that would likely come into play as well.

I don't think anyone can offer any comment on this material unless they take the time to watch and listen carefully to the actual statements made by Mr. Sutera in his 11 and a half minute presentation. He states more than once that this stuff keeps surprising their team in exceeding its design goals and expectations and has potential applications they were not anticipating when they started, such as more efficient motor windings and transmission lines. He states, "Like I've said, we didn't plan on this working as well as it did and we're very happy we came up with a formulation that works very effectively". The guy hardly comes across as a Billy Mays type of promoter and it is important to consider that his remarks were presented at an ideas conference not a trade show.

Ok. So, I spray an antenna on a tree, attach a special wire, then adjust the swr, then I transmit. The part I don't understand is adjusting the swr. Do I just peel the bark off the tree til I get down to the deisred swr? LOL.

The continued story from the blog states that they sprayed an existing auto antenna with this stuff and the reception improved greatly. I don't get it.

We know that an antenna can only absorb roughly half of the energy that strikes it. The other half is wasted though re-radiation and other losses. Have they really found a way to absorb more energy? If so, this could be really big. The same technology might be used to make better electrical contacts of all types.