Have you arrived at any conclusions after purchasing the lights you now own, traded,

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't find one light that you're completely satisfied with (I know, it's like a unicorn), you will end up with several different lights with different tasks in mind.

For example, I have both an M61LL and an M61 in two different 6P's. I also have an E2DL but need a diffuser to make the light useful most of the time and I won't/don't run rechargeables in it, whereas the Malkoffs are great on li-ions, but are single mode (need an MD2 host) and are too bulky for pocket carry (IMO).

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
... or sold?

I've been thinking about this, but decided to start this thread ot ask you what your thoughts are after reading Davyro's post in the "Do you ever wonder what you're gonna do with all those lights" thread. Which btw, sort of hit home in what I was thinking in regards to all the money I spent on flashlights/accessories.

Adding what I spent since August/September of 2011, I could easily be wearing a mint used Kobold Seal on my wrist with the lights that I bought (this is aside from the lights I presently use in my rotation). Yup, I kick myself when I think about it (becasue I enjoy watches as well), but IMO it's a learning curve when you get yourself in something new, but an expensive one at that!

After my recent episode with a mass produced/manufactured light (as well as being at the mercy of certain online vendors/manufacture's online sales). I'm in a position now where I need to be, with a good rotation of lights that's my nightly carry (for work).

All of which (cept for one that I decided to use as a key chain light, in lieu of it sitting on my desk) are made by individuals here in the U.S..

I found, if you have a question, and or a problem. You're contacted by the person who made the light, and so far all of them will bend backwards to help you, and or take the time to answer your questions, even talk about other subjects/interest as well.

Which it's greatly appreciated!

Although these light are priced where (speaking for myself) is not an impulse type of purchase, but the rewards (when I'm able to purchase one) IMO will by far exceed my expectations when spending my hard earned cash on the light.

This is what I've decided or have come to the conclusion should I add another light to my rotation/collection.

So what conclusions have you arrived in regards to the light/s you purchased?

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light is to be considered semi disposable then the best price point and functions are key.
If it's something that you know you will use a lot, and the ergonomics are good, then the sturdiness and design of the body are almost more important than the guts inside of it (Surefire C2 for instance).

Cheap gee-whiz tech is Fantastic for seeing what's possible without breaking the bank, but too many cheap purchases prevent me from concentrating funds on things of enduring value. A lot of it just comes down to disposable income, I really Can't afford to buy many misses myself. With that said, my absolute favorite sort of tool is the exception to the rules, it's cheap, readily available and works very well, common as hen's teeth.

Overall I'd rather suffer once and get a really nice chassis with state of the art electronics inside (but not on the buggy, cutting edge) -these can be upgraded later easier than bad machining and cheap alloys.

btw, I love my ZL H51Fc and I expect to get my 200,000th click out of the switch, and my 50,000th hour out of the led with some occasional failures solved by cleaning and de-oxing the Four user servicable contact points (Six if you count the battery terminals).

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy once, cry once. I've messed around with Chinese made lights, and I decided that while American made lights might not be cutting edge, and I will most likely pay a premium, they will work when it matters most.

varmint

Enlightened
I would have far less and I don't have many, my Derrelight really got to me and has really taken over my lighting needs, with my TN11 I am well lit!!
Larry

BVH

Flashaholic
I've learned that over the years since joining here, I've spent thousands on lights and accessories and had tons of fun and will continue to spend thousands on lights and accessories and have tons more fun.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those of us that want really good value and get our noses all bent out of joint when we don't like what we bought really rely on those of you that are just plain having a lot of fun buying/trading and reviewing lights.
Thanks again.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
...just to name a few hard-earned lessons...

1-stick with the brands you know work fine for you
2-sometimes it's good to try something new (to make it compatible with 1, read lots of reviews and ask around)
3-more expensive is not always more quality, but rarely less
4-the smaller lights get more use
5-we buy more but use only the same number of lights (that is if you have more than 5 lights already)
6-If you really like the high output lights, skip the cheapos and spend real money on lights you will actually keep in the long run... that's the only way to really save money (OTOH cheaper lights can be recycled into fine gifts)
7-It is not necessary to have one light of each output, just lights with multiple outputs and a good high
8-Flashlights ARE a hobby. Don't spend more than you can, but expect to spend a lot. (which sends us back to #6...)

mbw_151

Enlightened
Being obsessed with beam tint can be very expensive.
For lights that will get used, the ratio of headlamps to handhelds is very close to 1:1.
A light that provides flood and throw without needing a diffuser is a truly wonderful thing.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhat in line with what BVH said.

I will spend lots on money on lights, realize I have too many and sell most of them. Then I will spend more money on more expensive lights, realize I have too many and sell them. Then spend even more money on even more expensive Ti light, realize I have too many and sell most of them.

........I am currently in the intermediary phase right now. I've sold about 30 lights in the past few months and only had 10 lights. But the itch is grabbing hold - I've already bought a HDS Rotary (awesome light) and have a used A2 on the way.......

LGT

Enlightened
At times I think I've spent way too much on different lights that just seem to overlap in beam tint, output and runtime. With a basic rotation of five to ten lights, I often think it would be ok to part with the other thirty. But then I'm out in the back yard playing with the lights I just don't use much for anything other then comparing beams. While I've bought a few duds, and only a few are actually used on a regular basis, I still like having my toys that are used for nothing more than comparing one to the other.

Last edited:

davyro

Enlightened
Hi AZPops, i didn't start that thread wish i had done because its a good one as is this one,I've got my first McGizmo on it's way & I'm hoping it's going to be one of my keepers
if I'd came across HDS lights earlier than i did I'm pretty sure i would own at least 5 of them & not the 2 i do now(both keepers).Every light I'm buying now is with the full
intention that I'm going to keep them.I'd like to try Jetbeam PC10 as a work light but I'm not going to as the next light I'm saving for i want it to be another keeper.I know
i wouldn't keep the PC10 so if i stick to my self imposed mission my money is staying in my pocket until i get enough to buy the one that I'm hoping to be impressed enough
to keep.It's going to be hard for me to keep to my plan of getting around 12 keepers(plus a lot of money)as there's always going to be something new that comes out & I'll
want to have it.Just like a Rotary i had to have it & I'm very pleased i did.

guardpost3

Enlightened
~Deicide~;[URL="tel:3876548" said:
3876548[/URL]]My Conclusion?

Should have just bought HDS and leave everything else alone.

+1

I clicked on this thread to wright just that. Of coarse I do enjoy buying and selling lights and playing with the newest coolest stuff, from an EDC standpoint I could have saved alot of money just buying a fist full of HDSs and been done with it.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
My conclusion, which is quite the opposite of what I thought it would be when I started looking at lights, is that I really love lights with the lowest lumens.

HIDblue

Enlightened
My epiphany was that I have very little use for lights with great throw and narrow beams. Flood is in...

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
Less=More

Twisty tailcap with the fewest moving parts=more reliable
1 Battery with no pcb=better than 2, or batteries with electronics in them
A single level light engine, or even better, direct drive LED with resistor=better than crazy disco wizbangness

Like the turtle and the hare- output is great, but runtime trumps it everytime

Building solid, basic lights is more fun than buying them and easier than I thought it would be

That the builders on the forums (most of them forum members that turned the hobby into a business) build THE BEST lights you will ever buy and are popular for good reason. This forum does one thing better than anything else, and that's weed out the posers and lights that just don't cut it.

NEVER go into the woods at night without an IMR driven Malkoff that turns on with an oveready Zero res twisty..

CPF may be the best friend I have...

All that, and there there is not enough money in the world to fuel my flashlight addiction...

sassaquin

Enlightened
When I first became interested in lights, I felt compelled to buy every damn thing that interested me. Now, I am overwhelmed by the quantity (60+) and average quality of some of my collection. My goal is to collect only a few American made lights and sell off my imported mass produced lights. I'd like to keep my HDS, Peaks, PhotonFanatic, Muyshondt, Lenslight Mini and a few Surefires. And a McGizmo Haiku is definitely in my future. The "less is more mentality" has set in. Oh, how I wish this occured to me sooner because now I have the daunting task of selling off my regrets. But, without having these lights to compare to, I wouldn't know just how good "The Best" can be. :)

Last edited:

Jethro

Newly Enlightened
My conclusion, which is quite the opposite of what I thought it would be when I started looking at lights, is that I really love lights with the lowest lumens.

I agree with you. After a few years being obsessed with expensive, super bright lights, I have realized that in the real world, a 15-40 lumen flashlight is all I really need.

Latest posts