E2E LF incan' lamp problem or something else?

CLBME

Enlightened
Good evening,

It's been a long time since I dealt with an incan' but I'm really enjoying my E2E in its incan' form. Tonight I was using it outside with a Lumens Factory HO E2A. It hadn't been on for a very long- a few minutes- when I noticed a flickering in the spill and the light suddenly went out completely. After a little bit I tried it again and it came on then died abruptly again. I did this several times before exchanging the lamp to a Surefire MNO3, which seems to be working fine.

Do the incan' lamps die in this way? Forgive my ignorance but I'm not sure whether they would abruptly die and not work again period or whether this is a normal way for the bulb to die. Could there be anything else that would cause the lamp to act this way?

New batteries by the way, with about 10 mins of run time.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: incan' bulb- do they die immediately?

They're light bulbs, just like that 100 watt you've got in the table lamp sitting next to you. One moment they're working fine. The next time you go to turn it on, the darn thing burns out. Maybe you can jiggle it a little bit, and what's left of the burned out filament might blink if it touches in just the right spot. Otherwise, it's just dead.

No, they don't fade away.

CLBME

Enlightened

Hi Ty, That's what I figured but I couldn't figure out the abrupt shut-off, then it came on again just as brightly for a quick bit several times..........I'm assuming it's the lamp as the MNO3 seems fine. I'll have to shake it and see if that duplicates the problem.................

Thanks for the reply.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might try cleaning all the contact surfaces and reassembling it with some DeOxIt Gold. If that does not work, you need a new bulb. I always take a backup flashlight with me, even if it is small.

CLBME

Enlightened

Thanks Hotwire-

I'm not sure what the issue with the lamp is but I think that's it. I put it back in and when I shake it/bang it a bit in my hand it'll go out. If I turn it off and back on it'll come on for a split second then go out. The light got warm and I pulled the batteries right away- they were warm too. I cannot see anything wrong with the lamp i.e. the filament seems to be intact but I cannot duplicate the symptoms with the Surefire MNO3 no matter how much I shake it/turn it or off, etc. Something internally in the LF lamp I guess?

Thanks for the reply.

You might try cleaning all the contact surfaces and reassembling it with some DeOxIt Gold. If that does not work, you need a new bulb. I always take a backup flashlight with me, even if it is small.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's normal for the light and batteries to get warm. Without actually being there, it is difficult to say if the warmth you feel is above normal.

On some of the cheaper Brinkmann lamp assemblies, occasionally you'd get one where the bulb was not properly welded to the pedestal. I'd be surprised if I saw this happen in a Surefire LA, but I won't say it can't happen. Pull the lamp and carefully check the two leads from the bulb are firmly welded to the contact plates at the bottom of the lamp assembly. If you happen to touch the glass itself, give it a wipe with some 90+% isopropyl alcohol to remove the oils from your fingers.

CLBME

Enlightened

Hi Ty- Thanks for the reply. I did some further testing this morning with my multi-meter and have determined that the LF lamp assembly is faulty. I tested the tail cap and the light with the MNO3 in it and it was fine. However when testing the LF lamp the draw was really high and it wouldn't light. I'm thinking there's a short in the LF lamp somewhere...............it hit the trash bin as it was used and I don't know how much run time was on it.:)

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast

However when testing the LF lamp the draw was really high and it wouldn't light. I'm thinking there's a short in the LF lamp somewhere...

Sounds like you've found it. If it's shorted, time to pitch it in the bin.

CLBME

Enlightened

I'd say so Ty- what was curious though is that when I tested the LA not under load- it tested o.k. But when turned on it must have had a short internally somewhere that heated up or something causing things to short. Annoying that I couldn't put my finger on it exactly but no big deal. The light is fine today and I used it for about 10 mins checking the equipment with the Surfire MNO3. Thanks again!