wobbly twisty head fix

budynabuick

Enlightened
I tried the tape and it just did not work for me as it would shred. I went in the garage and grabbed some anti-seize compound. Brand is dynatex a thick gray substance. I applied it and low and behold it eliminated the wobbly head so I can now one hand the little twisty without the inherent flickering caused by a loose head. It has been on there going on two months and still works great. It also prevents further thread galling which will prevent further loosening of head. Try it for your self.

Keith, who no longer has a wobbly head :thumbsup:

ragweed

Enlightened
Thanks for the info! I have never had this problem with my twistys though. What brand of light was it?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the recommendation.... might have to try this out. Wonder if that stuff is OK for the O-rings.

Ragweed, Quarks are known for having this loose head/thread thing.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a thread somewhere around about MacGuyver type flashlight tricks and fixes... this should definitely be posted in there. I know this one will be stored in the back of my mind for future reference, thanks for sharing!

Kokopelli

Enlightened
Nyogel has two different thicknesses. I use the thinner one for finer threads and the thicker one for the threads with larger give. I found Nyogel useful on a loose Maglite XL100 head. Can recommend.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up! I'll stop by the auto parts store to pick some up. If it works, I maybe able to use my Illuminati.

Itinifni

Newly Enlightened
A minor word of caution from someone who's been using anti-seize for over 30 years, apply it sparingly! I would suggest using a fine brush to lightly, evenly coat the threads. Apply a light enough coat that it doesn't work its way onto the o ring and do not apply so much that it ends up working its way to the body below the head.
It will not be good for the o ring and if you get even the smallest amount on your hand it will be all over your face, clothes etc in no time.

budynabuick

Enlightened
A minor word of caution from someone who's been using anti-seize for over 30 years, apply it sparingly! I would suggest using a fine brush to lightly, evenly coat the threads. Apply a light enough coat that it doesn't work its way onto the o ring and do not apply so much that it ends up working its way to the body below the head.
It will not be good for the o ring and if you get even the smallest amount on your hand it will be all over your face, clothes etc in no time.

Heed his advice. The light in question is a Klarus MIX6 that had knarly threads when it arrived. I even started to send it back but since it is covered for 2 years and i love it i decided to play with it and see how it went. Well, the light got so wobbly that i could not one hand it without flickering. I also have been using anti- seize for over 40 years, it dawned on me that it has anti galling properties and with it"s thick viscosity as well as a good lube, I thought it just might do the trick. first I took a o ring and covered it with anti- seize and let it sit for a week so I can say that it does not harm the rings. I find a Q-tip works great.First off, if you put to much you will not be able to tighten the HEAD AT ALL lol! With the q-tip apply it so as it is just below the top of the threads. Clean up excess so the stuff is only on the threads and your good to go. At first it may be hard to tighten the head so just tighten as far as it will go and then back off... repeat till you see the light. Before i applied this stuff i could not one hand the light as i wanted to. Now it one hands very nicely. Just play around with it till you get it right and you will see that it works great! I appreciate the thanks as it feels good to give back just a little to a group of folks that I have learned so much from. CPF ROCKS!!!

Keith- who is now able to one hand his little twisty:eek: (no pun intended)