Flashaholic Holiday - Shab-e Yalda

TEEJ

Flashaholic
An Iranian friend introduced me to a holiday in Iran known as Shab-e Yalda.

In most ancient cultures, including Iran, the start of the solar year has been marked to celebrate the victory of light over darkness and the renewal of the Sun.

The last day of the Iranian month of "Āzar" (November-December) is the longest night of the year, when the forces of Ahriman (darkness) are assumed to be at their peak.

While the next day, the first day of the month of "Dey" known as "Khorram rūz" or "Khur rūz" (the day of
the sun) belongs to the creator, Ahura Mazda (the Lord of Wisdom).

Since the days are getting longer and the nights shorter, this day marks the victory of the sun over darkness, and goodness over evil. The occasion was
celebrated in the festival of "Deygān" dedicated to Ahura Mazda, on the first day of the month of "Dey" (December-January)

So, I'm thinking about this...and it occurs to me that this is OUR holiday too. How could we NOT celebrate the Longest Night of the Year?

:party::party::party:

So, if possible, Flashaholics should gather on Shab-e Yalda, and party the night away. (Dec 21 IIRC)

Whatcha Think?

:rock:

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has already been agreed that the winter solstice is international flashlight day, but you bring an interesting point that should be mentioned more often:

[...]

In most ancient cultures, including Iran, the start of the solar year has been marked to celebrate the victory of light over darkness and the renewal of the Sun.

[...]

TEEJ

Flashaholic
OK then, that works out well then.

We celebrate the victory of light over darkness daily...but THIS day would be OUR holy day.

:D

Greta

Flashaholic

So, if possible, Flashaholics should gather on Shab-e Yalda, and party the night away. (Dec 21 IIRC)

Whatcha Think?

:rock:

December 21st is the Winter Solstice... which as has already been mentioned is already international flashlight day. So um... forgive my 'stuck-on-dumbness'... but isn't what you are proposing already covered and thus redundant? :confused: :thinking:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its probably my dumbness that's at the core of the issue, as I didn't know there was already a flashlight day...I only found the forum recently, and you people are really the only ones I talk about this stuff with.

I thought I invented the concept. :ohgeez:

Oh, well, I'll go see if I can invent something useful, maybe the wheel or something...

:sigh:

Empath

Flashaholic
It's been said that February 18 is also a very important day. It's been designated as National Battery Day (I suppose in all nations that will accept it).

February 18 seems especially suitable, since Alessandro Volta, the one often designated the inventor of the voltaic cell, was born on that day.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been said that February 18 is also a very important day. It's been designated as National Battery Day (I suppose in all nations that will accept it).

February 18 seems especially suitable, since Alessandro Volta, the one often designated the inventor of the voltaic cell, was born on that day.

DAMN! Didn't know that one. Less than 24 hours left to prepare my trimestrial battery maintenance day in celebration... might as well throw in a quick flashlight maintenance day to top it off and I also have a knife that's due for cleaning/sharpening. On top of it all, I'm working on a project directly related to flashlights...Busy weekend!