PR 2 LED bulb advice, please

sniper

Enlightened
Hey, all;
I have 4 PR based LEDs that I purchased waaaay back in 2006 or so. They are still going strong, except for the one i mistakenly put into my 3D shop flashlight! BEAUTIFUL, bright, white beam...for about 30 sconds. Oops!

It is 5+ years later, and I can't remember whether I purchased these from the Shoppe or Lambda, or both.

I have one of them in a no-name light my wife got somewhere, and another in a Fulton G.I. angle-head flashlight, both 2D.

The Fulton is completely adequate at house/back yard distances, but it is dimmer than the no-name, probably due to reflector design. The no-name flickers, whch I suspect is a switch problem.

I will replace the no-name with a better light, but I would like the Fulton to be a bit brighter, and I am also thinking about purchasing a 3C Maglite, and dropping some sort of module in it.

Like with lights, I think there must have been some improvement in LED drop-ins in the past years, but, have searched with no success, and only found a few posts newer than ~2007, so here goes:

I am thinking about the New Generation SMJLED from the Shoppe, the Nite Ize 1 watt drop in for 2-6 cell flashlights, or the Terralux for 2-3 cell flashlights. Which would be brighter/more reliable, or is it a toss-up?

What experience has anyone had with any or all of the three LED modules mentioned, and are they brighter than the older units I already have?
Thanks.

sniper

Enlightened
O.K., I answered my own questiion.

FWIW, I ordered a Terralux TLE 1F Ministar 1 Universal fit flange mount bulb, (50 lumen, 1 watt on the packaging) and installed it in my Fulton.

Immediate improvement in my dark basement...dark is a good 6 hours away. Probably 30% brighter than the older LEDs, and a better beam pattern from the Fulton reflector.

After dark...easily 30% brighter, excellent illumination, whiter tint! A very satisfying upgrade... very useful for emergency prep, and/or general duties around the acreage. I definitely recommend it for a no hassle, reasonable cost mod, and it fills my needs for an emergency light very well. Try it, you'll like it!

I'll replace the spare incan bulb with the LED I took out, in case the unthinkable happens.

Hmmmm... I now have 4 Minimags with LED, 2-2Ds, 1-3D with Luxeon III, 2 Inova X1s, a UK 4AAeLed, 1 old Duracell 2 AA light with drop-in, a CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra, Mini Magled, Terralux Lightstar 220...somewhere in there should be a Partridge in a Pear tree, methinks. WHERE will it all end?

'Tis a Fine and Pleasant Madness!

Last edited: