Advice needed - Mini Mag

dilligas

Newly Enlightened
I have an old mini mag lite. I see numerous LED bulbs to upgrade this light. Any model or manufacturer that you would recommend as the best choice
Thanks

varmint

Enlightened
Re: Advice needed

Retire it, I did, its not worth spending money on, look at the Terralux lightstar line, great for the price.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Advice needed

It is definitely worth upgrading. I still use LED upgraded MiniMags on a daily basis (even though I have a lot more expensive, newer lights laying around). Not the latest or greatest in lighting technology, but the Mags are a well built, quality host, and the $10-15 for a drop-in LED is a good value, since you already own the light. The two biggest names are Terralux and Nite-Ize, I've used drop-ins from both, and have never had any major problems with either, but generally prefer the offerings from Terralux.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old mini mag lite. I see numerous LED bulbs to upgrade this light. Any model or manufacturer that you would recommend as the best choice
Thanks
I did this recently to my Mini MagLite, I went with the TerraLUX Ministar2 Ex from 'The Torch SIte' (UK based) as it only cost £12.95, I also opted for the £2.95 TerraLUX clicky tail switch. So about £15 all in.

If I'm honest there are more powerful lights, but very few if any that you can buy for £15. This TerraLUX upgrade claims 140 lumens (LED) and makes it a highly usable light, not too bright for use in doors, but bright enough to give it some throw and usable spill when outside.

If you already have a Mini MagLite you'll really struggle to better it with a new light for the same or less money than what an upgrade like this will cost you. If you are planning on spending more, then sure, there are loads of options and better newer lights to look at, including the brand new 245 lumen Mini MagLite Pro+.

Mini Mag with the drop in vs a sk68 - 2 sec exposure
MiniMagLite-SK682secexposure-small.jpg

Mini Mag 1 sec exposure
MiniMagLiteAA140lumenTerraLUXMiniStar21secexposure-small.jpg

Same shot as above but with a Tesco CREE 2xAA (XPE I think) £10 to buy and similar size to the Mag - 1 sec exposure
TescoCREEAA1secexposure-small.jpg

MiniMagMiniStar2reflector.jpg

EagleTactD25LC2andMiniMag.jpg

And some more comparison shots, although these are a little over exposed:
MiniMagLiteAAMiniStar2Ex140lumensLarge.jpg

TescoCREEAALarge.jpg

MagChargerstandardLarge.jpg

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok for a real answer the NiteIze LED and tailswitch combo is about the best thing on the market
and sold in a lot of places. keep the minimag it will work GREAT with a niteize

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok for a real answer the NiteIze LED and tailswitch combo is about the best thing on the market
and sold in a lot of places. keep the minimag it will work GREAT with a niteize
I've not used this setup, how does it compare to the TerraLUX offering? I've still got an incan MiniMag I'd like to upgrade and wonder if I should opt for this setup or stick with what I've already experienced and liked with the TerraLUX?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also if you poke around a bit you'll find people have described using a drill bit to ream out the head enough that a P60 dropin will fit in them.

TadpolePilot

Newly Enlightened
Also if you poke around a bit you'll find people have described using a drill bit to ream out the head enough that a P60 dropin will fit in them.
60 head to fin the mini-mag

:wave:
Sure would like more information on getting p-60 head fitting mini-mag.
thanks