Jetbeam PA20 or PC20?

depaulhifi

Newly Enlightened
sup d00ds.... as you can see I am new to CPF and flashlights in general. I discovered this place from none other than good ol' nutnfancy ... and I doubt I am alone in this lol... after seeing his reviews of awesome lights from Fenix, NiteCore, and 4sevens, I've decided I must have one of my own! After learning about all the features available in a good/tactical flashlight, I would like the light to meet the following criteria:

1. compact enough for EDC, but powerful enough to be a primary light
2. very bright, 180+ lumens, see item #1
3. forward clicky switch, allowing momentary on
4. must use readily available cells, so they are not hard to find in the event of SHTF.

After a good few weeks of searching/reading/learning... I had settled on a 4sevens Quark X AA² Tactical. It meets or exceeds all of my set criteria. Then I became torn between the Tactical and non-Tactical version. I like that the non-Tactical version is not "limited" to 2 modes like the Tactical version is. I don't like that I have to reprogram the flashlight to access a mode outside the two currently programmed. So I started to consider the non-Tactical version, but I don't like the reverse clicky switch and that I can't do a half press/momentary on with it.

(I understand that this is EXTREMELY trivial... but I think its soooooo cool that there are so many different lights to choose from and minutiae like this is considered)

So Quark non-Tactical is out again, back to Tactical version, but that UI is still a bummer. I began to look at JetBeam. I see they get excellent reviews here as well as other places. Yesterday I thought I had settled (again) on the PA20. It's plenty bright at 230 ANSI (although not explicitly defined as OTF lumens, this seems like a more realistic measurement than from the emitter) lumens, the right size, the right price... blah blah blah... I can use rechargeable eneloop's in it, and it has a forward clicky switch that allows me to run it full blast with the head in one position, *and* cycle through the rest of the available modes with the head in another position. Color me "sold."

Or am I? Then I started looking at the PC20 and its OMG!!! 410 lumens. For four bucks more I can get nearly double the lumens and an extra 30 minutes run time on max brightness. I'd be crazy not to, right? My hangup here is that it uses CR123 cells. I understand they're stronger than AAs and I also understand they're not super hard to find, but they're by no means as prolific as AAs or AAAs. I think there are rechargeable CR123s out there, called RCR123s if I'm not mistaken. These would likely require a separate/proprietary charger which is a bummer. I'm now trying to work out the cost/benefit analysis and the total cost of ownership of each. I have a few questions that will help me finalise this decision:

1. how long will a 2xCR123 light last in "real world" terms? By "real world" I mean using it a few times a day when you're like "what is that?" *flashlight on* ... looking around... eh, just a rat... *flashlight off* there's like what... 15 seconds of usage? ... I've never had a flashlight worth a chizz so I don't yet know how much I will use it.
2. the same scenario for a 2xAA light?
3. is there really a night and day difference between 230 lumens and 410? To the point where it looks almost 2x brighter to the naked/untrained eye?

The extra upfront and long-term costs of a CR123 based light are not going to make or break me, but there is something to be said for a device that runs on plain ol, run of the mill, can find 'em freakin' anywhere, AAs. If it turns out that I'm only gonna need to buy CR123s once a year or so, and have a light that's visibly brighter, then the PC20 will be it. If it turns out that dudes are buying CR123's every month or two, that could be a whole different sitch.

Your input will be greatly appreciated!

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
I would also look at the Jetbeam BC20. It's cheaper than the PC20, and at 305 lumens is really powerful for the price. I am very happy with mine. It has a great throw to it and is one of the brightest XP-G lights I have ever seen.

Labradford

Newly Enlightened
It won't matter which battery type you go with. You'll buy one, get "the sickness" and within 30 days buy the other type. Enjoy the lights !

depaulhifi

Newly Enlightened
I would also look at the Jetbeam BC20. It's cheaper than the PC20, and at 305 lumens is really powerful for the price. I am very happy with mine. It has a great throw to it and is one of the brightest XP-G lights I have ever seen.

eh, I'm not too concerned with the cost of the light itself, and I don't care for the looks of the BC20. Also, I want more than two modes. BC20 is a pass.

cobra4246

Newly Enlightened
No trueer word have been written. I have a Jetbeam PA20-PA10 also 2 Olights I am not sure I can stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shilent

Newly Enlightened
1. how long will a 2xCR123 light last in "real world" terms? By "real world" I mean using it a few times a day when you're like "what is that?" *flashlight on* ... looking around... eh, just a rat... *flashlight off* there's like what... 15 seconds of usage? ... I've never had a flashlight worth a chizz so I don't yet know how much I will use it.
2. the same scenario for a 2xAA light?
3. is there really a night and day difference between 230 lumens and 410? To the point where it looks almost 2x brighter to the naked/untrained eye?

The PC20 on Primaries will give you 2 hours on max, so if you use it 1 minute a day on MAX, then 120 days. But you'll barely use it on max.
200 vs 400 lumens does not look 2x brighter, more like 50% brighter.

The extra upfront and long-term costs of a CR123 based light are not going to make or break me, but there is something to be said for a device that runs on plain ol, run of the mill, can find 'em freakin' anywhere, AAs. If it turns out that I'm only gonna need to buy CR123s once a year or so, and have a light that's visibly brighter, then the PC20 will be it. If it turns out that dudes are buying CR123's every month or two, that could be a whole different sitch.

Your input will be greatly appreciated!

CR123a can be bought online for $1 each, not that expensive if you think about it. Though I would recommend RCR123, that way you can charge them up before you go on a camping trip or when you know you'll be using your flashlight a lot. IMO 2xCR123 have the best size to performance ratio, so I'd go with the PC20. I'm actually selling my PC20 for $55 shipped if you're interested. The reason I'm selling is because the stobe and SOS modes get in the way, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

depaulhifi

Newly Enlightened
"get in the way" in what sense?

And I appreciate the offer... but I think I want my first "real" flashlight to be brand spankin' new... and it looks like it will be a PC20...

shilent

Newly Enlightened
Not really a big deal, just have to press the switch twice more. Can be annoying sometimes especially how it goes from low (6 lumens) to strobe (410 lumens). I'd really love it, if it was like my PD30, which goes low>med>high>SOS with no memory, so it always starts low. I bought a Fenix PD32 to replace my PC20, and although it's 315 lumens, I prefer it over my PC20 due to changing modes.

depaulhifi

Newly Enlightened
I bit the bullet today. And I went with.....

*drumroll*

a PA20. $65.00 shipped from goinggear. w3wt.

geoff538

Newly Enlightened
Congrats!!! I get 99% of my lights from Goinggear. For your "next Purchase"..... You can still get the AA² "REGULAR". Just add the Tactical tail switch and you can have the best of your likes on the Quark. Full functionality of the different brightness levels, etc..... and have the momentary forward clicky tail. I've done it and it works just fine......

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
24visk1.gif

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bit the bullet today. And I went with.....

*drumroll*

a PA20. $65.00 shipped from goinggear. w3wt.

Congrats man, nice choice: I don't think you'll be disappointed.
I've had the PA20 for nearly a month and I simply love it!

It's just I'm getting "the sickness" Labradford was talking about. Initially I had decided to buy the PA20 3 weeks ago and get the PA10 as my EDC or back-up... now I just can't stop looking at the PA10, PC20, Klarus XT2C, XT2A, XT1A. I'm not sure what the sickness will lead me to get next... but I have a hunch I might eventually get them all one by one!