Fenix LD01 vs Thrunite Ti

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Thrunite T1, and so far like it a lot. I am also considering the Fenix LD01.
Is there enough difference in the capability or quality to get the Fenix LD01 since I have the Ti?
Thanks,
Jerry

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads on the Thrunite Ti are loose, you can push on the head in low mode and get hi mode, it's the similar threading issue the Thrunite 1A and 1c have. Also the rubber material instead of the spring feels cheap

Flashlight Enthusiast
The threads on the Thrunite Ti are loose, you can push on the head in low mode and get hi mode, it's the similar threading issue the Thrunite 1A and 1c have. Also the rubber material instead of the spring feels cheap

you can push on the LD01 and make it blink and spazz modes
LD01 has lousy grip, hard to one hand it
Thrunite has awesome grip
foam ring is a non-issue
loose head ? I bought 8 of them, none I would describe as loose

I keep an LD01 and a Thrunite Ti next to each other, right here by my laptop. my everyday 'don't carry' blend.
one is not better than the other...they fill different roles

as far as sturdy ? Thrunite Ti feels light and strong, LD01 feels like heavier sheet metal, but
you know what ? I'd say equally sturdy.

as an owner of 5 LD01 and 8 Thrunite Ti I have some time checking them out. everyone needs one of each :D

Last edited:

Streamer

Enlightened
LD01 is , IMO, way better than TI. The Ti relys on metal tab for switching...weak link IMO.

I decided to skip the Ti and move on the the T10...haven't done it yet. but that's where i'd go

I have the LD01,,,,solid, reliable, and proven.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can push on the LD01 and make it blink and spazz modes
LD01 has lousy grip, hard to one hand it
Thrunite has awesome grip
foam ring is a non-issue
loose head ? I bought 8 of them, none I would describe as loose

I keep an LD01 and a Thrunite Ti next to each other, right here by my laptop. my everyday 'don't carry' blend.
one is not better than the other...they fill different roles

as far as sturdy ? Thrunite Ti feels light and strong, LD01 feels like heavier sheet metal, but
you know what ? I'd say equally sturdy.

as an owner of 5 LD01 and 8 Thrunite Ti I have some time checking them out. everyone needs one of each :D

Not loose as in side to side wobble but to and from the body wobble once loosened. As for the LD01 I don't own any but my E05 has great threading.

Both my Thrunite Ti have the same play in the threads, it's minor but it's there. It's enough to change modes as a momentary function almost. Not a bad thing but definitely not intentional IMO

Racer

Enlightened
My Ti Firefly has a little bit more play in the head than I'd like. But it's such a great light I don't hold that against it. I've been pretty abusive towards mine for the last couple months and the little tab so far hasn't been the weak link I thought it would be also. Overall it's held up great.

Just ordered a T10 today. No foam insert and hopefully less play in the head. Heh, I almost bought a 3 lumen Ti in the same order but the wife was sneering at me.

I Don't own the LD01 but it's on my to do list. I see that ManaFont has a gift set with the LD01 and an E01 for the same price as the LD01 is normally by itself. I almost bought it the other day but the E01 it comes with is purple, which looks more pink than purple.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

If thats the case - your low mode tab is really crushed down.

You should try gently bending it up . I do agree , the tab is the weak point .

Thats also why I am advancing to the T10 model with no tab / and memory.

~

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If thats the case - your low mode tab is really crushed down.

You should try gently bending it up . I do agree , the tab is the weak point .

Thats also why I am advancing to the T10 model with no tab / and memory.

~

I'll give that a try, thanks TooManyGizmos

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Isn't the T10 AA?

The LD01 was my first non-hardware-store LED light, just over a year ago. The Ti is my latest, just over a month ago. (Most of what I got in between runs on CR123, though I have a couple AA's, too.)
Both will activate by pressing down on the bezel when they're nearly tight enough to turn on, as will my Maratac AAA's. I haven't met a AAA twisty that doesn't (not that I've tried them all,) but it does feel more likely to occur on the Thrunite than the Fenix. (Cu Maratac AAA is easiest of all.) In the end, I prefer a clicky, though I don't have on in AAA.
Anyway, I prefer the Ti better for its beam, tint, and one-hand operation. But the LD01 felt like more of a quality piece when I took it out of the package (perhaps because it was my first?) The reason I have Maratacs and the Ti is because the Fenix is so hard to activate with one hand.
Fenix is 3-stage, where Thrunite is 2. Honestly, in a AAA one-hander, 2 is plenty for me. With the Fenix, I use low when I need it, but can never decide between Med and Hi went I want a bit more.
I think both are quality lights, and do the job required, but you can get 2 Ti's for the price of a single LD01.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
LD01 is better and is over twice the price, If you want something smaller look at the Klarus x10 and x6

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I received another Thrunite T1. This one is the 3/60 model instead of the firefly as my other one. I think I am going to find the 3/60 more useful overall, but will have to try both for awhile.

I want to commend Illumination Supply for such fast service. It has taken less than a week and that was the case with the first one. I can highly recommend them. I am still looking at the Fenix LD 01. I like the three levels it provides.

Jerry

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered the combo off ebay,
Fenix LD01 E01 Gift Set Flashlight. Price was $36.95 and shipping free.
I am about to get "caught up with AAA lights.
Regards,
Jerry

davecroft

Enlightened
Jerry, I also have the combo E01 / LD01 set, as well as a Fenix E05. They are all very well built and I cannot fault them. The twisty on the LD01 to change modes feels more solid and works better without flickering or mode skipping than many of my other lights - but it is expensive compared to say the Olight i1.

I have not been too impressed with some of the reviews of the Thrunite, in particular the use of the tab to change modes, but it otherwise sounds like a well made, tough light and is a very reasonable price. I just don't know how well it will stand up to years of repeated switching on and off.

If cost was an issue, I would buy the Thrunite, otherwise my vote is definately for the LD01. As stated above, it is solid, reliable, and proven. I think you will like your LD01 and E01.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam of the LD01 is more diffuse and its maximum output is higher. If you want a softer beam for closer distances, the LD01 is great. If you want a bit more throw the Ti is the one.

Have a look through my review of the Ti and at the graphs:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-the-Thrunite-Ti-with-Firefly-mode-0.04-60-Lm

The beam profile makes the Ti look much brighter, but the area adjusted graph shows the LD01 has greater output.

Build quality of both is good.