Trying to ignore fate???

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
Having recently become interested in flashlights and led technology in particular, I have added the following lights to my collection.

Fenix LD20
Fenix E21
Terralux Lightstar 300
Ultrafire C3 (single mode)
Jetbeam PA40
Ultrafire 3xAAA zoomable

I have the following on order and they should be at my door this Friday.

IPC SA2
Klarus P2A

If you noticed, the common theme is battery type. All the above lights use AA or AAA batteries. I had planned to stick by this as a requirement for all future purchases. My plan already failed. I also recently ordered the Klarus XT2C. I just had to see for myself the difference between my current lights and something powered by 123s. Videos and reviews are really impressive and pushed me to experiment. I ordered a couple 18650 batteries with a charger for the new light. Was I just fighting fate by trying to stick with more standard batteries? From reviews and stats I expect the XT2C to be an awesome light and perhaps permanently end my preference for single and double A lights. So, to you guys who have been doing this for a while, was this move inevitable? Should I just order a bunch of 18650s to get ready as I am also looking at the Klarus XT11?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
cree hight power leds require the power of liions to run efficiently (3.7V).
if you feed 1.5V to a torch, then you dont need to buy Cree.

bansuri

Enlightened
. So, to you guys who have been doing this for a while, was this move inevitable? Should I just order a bunch of 18650s to get ready as I am also looking at the Klarus XT11?
The AAs are the gateway lights, then you see all the cool lights with other battery types.
I put up a good fight at first, even tried to get back to my roots, but HDS and Zebralight SC600 guarantee that I'll always have some big kid batteries on hand.
Sounds like you've got a game plan. Have fun!

Flashlight Enthusiast
once you find a reliable source of exotic batteries, cheap and safe, it's all over. that takes about 90 seconds in CPF

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
I intentionally have lights that use both kinds of batteries. I am generally expecting to have more 123 lights than AA lights but having both is good for me. :)

I'm not expecting the AA lights to be my best performers, but they are easy to "refuel" almost anywhere and the 1-cell versions are reasonably small for EDC. No question though that the CR123 lights will be much brighter.

H-Man

Enlightened
I have a "fewer cells is better" policy. Move up to a more powerful cell if more energy is needed is my policy. Single cell aaa and aa lights are just as easy to deal with as 18650 lights.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I remember over 4 years ago, when I bought my first real light, a Surefire U2...

Those days there were not many good lights running AAs and I didn't know those brands yet, so I bought the CR123A light and wanted to keep it there (along with AA). As my interest grew further, I came to lights which only accepted an 18650 and it took me a few weeks until I bit the bullet and started with li-ion.

We can skip the rest of the story, if I'd take all the cells out of all my lights, you'd think I've got a battery shop, currently there are not many cell sizes that you wouldn't find and many chargers fill a drawer, there's another drawer full of primaries as well. Flashlight madness, normal fate if you go custom and especially love the small, smaller and smallest lights.

I'd recommend to stay with the 2 common sizesm AA and 123. Besides CR123A you need 18650, 16340 and 14500 (for AA lights which accept li-ion) and you're ready for almost everything except everything the smaller lights. Buy a decent charger at once and start with good cells.

Good luck in fighting fate!

insanefred

Enlightened
I have been a 1 x AA 2 x AA or 4 x AA person for years. I finally gave in, I ordered my first 2 x CR123A light.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
once you find a reliable source of exotic batteries, cheap and safe, it's all over. that takes about 90 seconds in CPF

true! i used to go for AA-only lights...geez was I missing out! :)

now its 18650 or 14500 baby! :)

Just give in soon and buy your self some AW 18650, 14500 and 10440. The more you hold off, the more you just torture yourself - capitulation is inevitable.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using alkaline cell in high power light is painful
They wont supply power efficienly due to voltage sag.
And a single cell or double cell wont provide enough voltage for CREE's led which requires at least 3+ volt
Nominal drive requires 350ma and might be fine with dual cell, but if you want a blaster, better grab li-ion
Alkaline cell is only for low power small light or something like TK40 with a 8*AA battery blackhole

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys. It's good to know I am not alone. My Klarus XT2C arrived and, as stated, is my first non AA or AAA light. It has quickly been added to my duty belt along side a Jetbeam PA40. The XT replaced a Fenix LD20 which, although an awesome light, just could not compete on any front with the Klarus. The output using 2 123s (haven't received my 18650s yet) blows all of my 2 AA lights out of the water. It's very comparable to my PA40 as far as output and beam type. I also prefer the UI on the XT series. There is absolutely no learning curve and everything is easy to get to. I suspect my future purchases will be less about the battery type and more about the performance. As the Borg would say, "resistance is futile". I am in, no use fighting it any longer.

insanefred

Enlightened
So, what light made you pull the trigger and step further in to the.....light side?

A lot of reasons, some include. Decent run times on turbo, and brighter, much longer run times at medium and high. There is also a sever lack of 4 x AA options out there.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't fight it, simply embrace the light and buy lots of different battery types mentioned above. Don't forget to buy some NiMH D and C cells for the VPT.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please read- up on the pros and cons of lithium ion rechargeables before jumping in. They require proper care and handling!

Besides that, you're in the right place! Don't limit yourself, and remember you can always sell lights that don't quite fit your uses.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
The AAs are the gateway lights, then you see all the cool lights with other battery types.
I put up a good fight at first, even tried to get back to my roots, but HDS and Zebralight SC600 guarantee that I'll always have some big kid batteries on hand.

Agreed. I bought my first couple lights of need. My thought process included a need fo ra readily available battery size. I am now buy lights based on WANT. The AA lights were very much a gateway light for me.

xxguo

Newly Enlightened

Batteries is our energy. No other reasons, AA is so convenient.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered the 4Sevens Maelstrom S12. So now I have gone from "I am only buying AA lights" to "Well maybe one or two 18650 lights" and ended up at "got to try this 26650". In the same order are a Klarus XT11 and P1C. My collection is growing at an alarming rate.

Latest posts