Fenix LD01 Possible defect?

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
Just bought the LD01 / E01 combo pack from fenix outfitters. I like the LD01 alot but find that when changing modes, it is alot more precise than advertised. It says you need to turn it on, then off and back on within two seconds to go to the next mode. However with my flashlight, I feel like that time is probably more like < 1s. It also fairly hard to do one handed (switching modes) Anyone have a similiar experience with this light?

Thanks

Flashlight Enthusiast
modes change within 1.5 seconds (manual says < 1.5 secs)

lube the threads and O ring it will work a lot better

but it is still slippy...so
I had to take a sliver of silicone rescue tape around the head to make it one-hander

you can take the spare o ring, and put that around the head as a grip ring, that'll work too.

edit: manual should say .5 secs I just tested three of them, it is about .5 secs

Last edited:

l337m4n

Newly Enlightened
I have the same thing with my light, it has to be around 1/2 second. With a fresh battery it's not as hard to change modes but you have to be quick. Sometimes with a low battery medium mode will come on but it won't change to low and just turns off when you try to change settings. It can get a little squirrelly with low batteries maybe because the chip in the driver doesn't have enough voltage to change modes but it still comes on in medium, this kinda defeats the purpose of a long running low mode if you can't switch to it.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
I have the same thing with my light, it has to be around 1/2 second. With a fresh battery it's not as hard to change modes but you have to be quick. Sometimes with a low battery medium mode will come on but it won't change to low and just turns off when you try to change settings. It can get a little squirrelly with low batteries maybe because the chip in the driver doesn't have enough voltage to change modes but it still comes on in medium, this kinda defeats the purpose of a long running low mode if you can't switch to it.

Yeah I'd say 1/2 second is pretty accurate. Interesting...thanks.

As far as putting some lubricant on the O ring, I tried that. I used super lube, and it really didn't seem to do much. Maybe I used to much?

ragweed

Enlightened
I assume you cleaned the threads real good first. Superlube is fine but, won't make up for gritty threads. Having tight threads that are clean is a good thing IMO.

tam17

Enlightened
There was an annoying amount of o-ring stiction on my LD01 (R2) too, enough to make one-hand operation difficult. There's no immediate remedy though, lubricate it properly (I'm using food-safe silicone grease, even tried silicone oil but in vain) and allow some time for o-ring run-in. However my UI allows whole 2 seconds between two modes, no need to rush really...:whistle:

Cheers,

Tam

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Yeah mine doesn't do that id get a new one, but I also found that the o-ring when dry makes turning very hard

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
The LD01 I opened from fresh stock was incredibly difficult to turn. I was nearly ready to crucify it (vs my old L0D EDC) until I added a tiny bit of silicone lubricant. Now it's a one hander but not to switch modes. With an E15 it's ok but you guys can switch modes one handed even on a lubed LD01? Well the LD01 SS I have is even tighter but still... Anyone know of any finger strengthening exercises? Never mind don't answer that :)