Jetbeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foursevens Preon P0 (XP-E, 1xAAA, SS, "Flood") Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

Default Re: Foursevens Preon P0 (XP-E, 1xAAA, SS, "Flood") Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and mo

Quote Originally Posted by Etsu View Post
    Currently at 80 hours with a Eneloop, and still going strong. I'm also not seeing the large drop-off-in brightness that you noted several hours into your test. ...
    I wonder if you either had a bad version of the light, or your battery was bad, or perhaps they've improved the run-time since the early versions? (The latter is probably unlikely.)
    It's common for manufacturers to "tweak" the circuit over time. There is also a lot of variability in runtime at low levels (due to variation in circuits, emitter Vfs, etc.). Based on what you report, it sounds like your sample has a reduced drop-off phase (either due to a circuit change, or natural variation). Note that if the light were run more consistently at the lower regulated level, I would expect much longer runtime (as you seem to be finding).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Default Re: Foursevens Preon P0 (XP-E, 1xAAA, SS, "Flood") Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and mo

Okay, that makes sense.

Update with final run-time. Approximately 107 hours. I stopped the test when I noticed the light was flashing, rather than a steady beam. I'm not sure if that's a feature, or just what it does when the voltage or current drops too much. Probably the latter.

The light is rated at 120 hours, which it should be easily able to do on an alkaline cell.

Popping in a fresh Eneloop after the test did show it is significantly brighter (moonlight setting) on a fresh battery. So it does dim over time, perhaps by 50% or so.

Flashaholic*

Thanks, my key ring is steel alloy based, and there's also a pry bar and multi tool in there

Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    Thanks, my key ring is steel alloy based, and there's also a pry bar and multi tool in there
    My key ring is steel also and the P0 just sticks to the key ring itself and nothing else, despite having plenty of goodies attached.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    My key ring is steel also and the P0 just sticks to the key ring itself and nothing else, despite having plenty of goodies attached.
    Yes, the only other thing on my keyring that the magnet can stick to is my Canada Post mailbox key (seems to be made of stainless steel).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Nobody has mentioned that the battery is hard to get out because the magnet holds it in. Hold the light negative up and slowly slide the battery in, at about 3/16 inch it gets sucked in the rest of the way.
    Books you may have missed: The Flashlight Boys in The Cave of Darkness, The Flashlight Boys Visit Kodak (uh, oh), The Flashlight Boys New Circuit, in which they discover connecting batteries in series and blind themselves.

Another use for the magnet -- find your way in both the dark and in space: use it as a light, use it as a compass.

Books you may have missed: The Flashlight Boys in The Cave of Darkness, The Flashlight Boys Visit Kodak (uh, oh), The Flashlight Boys New Circuit, in which they discover connecting batteries in series and blind themselves.

^^ Nice!! Do you take out the battery so that it's even more lightweight?

If I recall the light without the battery is lighter than the battery itself!

Quote Originally Posted by georget98 View Post
    Another use for the magnet -- find your way in both the dark and in space: use it as a light, use it as a compass.

holy cow!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Default Foursevens Preon P0 (XP-E, 1xAAA, SS, "Flood") Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and

Quote Originally Posted by georget98 View Post

Great idea, although people should test it out at home first. My P0 tail happens to point South - I guess it depends on orientation the magnets are glued in.

Default Re: Foursevens Preon P0 (XP-E, 1xAAA, SS, "Flood") Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
    As SelfBuilt describes in his more thorough review, my P0 had strange flickering/jumping between modes upon first turning on the light.
    It's now called the Atom A0, and the flickering is still there. I just had to experience the mule like beam myself and it's awesome.

Default Re: Foursevens Preon P0 (XP-E, 1xAAA, SS, "Flood") Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and

I love these little lights from 47's. I gave my GF one, myself one, and also bought the red led one (tho i think it falls under the ATOM label)

Also gave one to an ultralight hiker friend of mine. He was blown away by the tiny size and the output.

Great review again Selfbuilt

Unenlightened

So I guess its 19 years later now. I bought my Preon P0 as soon as it was available, and allthough the somewhat unstable switch is a real thing, its not a bigger problem than turning on and off one extra time or something.

I must say, this is still my favorite camping and hiking light. the LOW / HIGH is perfect for my useage. Insane standby and hours on LOW. The Glow-in dark is an extra bonus for when its hanging in my tent at night. The size is the killer for me. 55x10mm and taking a single AAA I actually cant find these specs (or similar) anywhere. And thats why I come back to this forum, and now registered to see if anyone of you Oracles know A: where I can find used or new, and B: what is my closest (or smaller) alternative if I want around 0.5LM / 20LM choice, AAA, waterproof and 10-12mm thick.

I miss the Preon / FourSevens light...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best
    Claus
    (Norway)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12