Zebralight SC600 flickering

excfenix

Newly Enlightened
I've had my Zebralight SC600 for 3 months now. About a second after a cold start to turbo, it flickers for 1/5 a second and resumes as normal. Using AW 3100. Anyone else experiencing this? What could it be?

a.lber.to

Newly Enlightened
Did you try a different battery? I had a similar issue once, and it turned out to be the voltage regulator built-into the protected battery (to prevent overcharge and excessive discharge) which was defective...

excfenix

Newly Enlightened
I did not. But how did you determine that it was the voltage regulator?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine does the same thing, the flash is the light going into low mode before turbo mode. This is perfectly normal for the UI that the light uses. As soon as you press the button the light is thinking "long press" so it comes on in the lowest mode. After the release it goes into turbo mode, I hope that made sense.

Connor

Enlightened
I've had my Zebralight SC600 for 3 months now. About a second after a cold start to turbo, it flickers for 1/5 a second and resumes as normal. Using AW 3100. Anyone else experiencing this? What could it be?

Late answer, but I am seeing the same in my new SC600w. Very short flickering and easy to miss unless pointed at a white wall. I also see some flickers over the first 5 minutes in turbo (the light is always a tiny bit less bright after a flicker).
And no, it's not the low mode before turbo and in my case it's also not caused by any battery electronics because I'm running it with unprotected LG 2400 mAh cells.

Since the light is otherwise fine I assume it's the current regulating electronics in the Zebralight reacting to the immense power draw and heat produced by the LED.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed this when I first got my SC600. I contacted ZL and was told that this was normal with some batteries. For me it's a very minor issue and one that I rarely see since I almost never use the light on full output anyway.

While the SC600 may not be perfect, it's pretty darn close.

yifu

Enlightened
The moment you tap the on button, the light goes into your preset low mode, and if you didn't hold it long enough it pauses and jumps from low to high mode. That's what causes the flicker. The delay on mine is about half a second or so.

Connor

Enlightened
The moment you tap the on button, the light goes into your preset low mode, and if you didn't hold it long enough it pauses and jumps from low to high mode. That's what causes the flicker. The delay on mine is about half a second or so.

No. We are talking about a different flickering (see above).

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normal operation of the Zebralight UI.
Mine does the same thing, the flash is the light going into low mode before turbo mode. This is perfectly normal for the UI that the light uses. As soon as you press the button the light is thinking "long press" so it comes on in the lowest mode. After the release it goes into turbo mode, I hope that made sense.

Connor

Enlightened
Normal operation of the Zebralight UI.

Guys, please actually do read what Derek Dean and I described above. :duh2:
We are NOT talking about the low-mode-before-turbo-mode "flicker". The light sometimes flickers after it switched to turbo mode.

Last edited:

excfenix

Newly Enlightened
Right, I was not talking about the low mode before turning on to turbo. I'm talking about flickering AFTER turbo. Anyways, it stopped for whatever reason.