CD's beamshot comparison Feb 2012

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all.

I've been having another go at some comparison beamshots. Not quite as happy as I'd have liked with them as I think they are all a little under exposed and make all the lights look a bit dull compared to seeing them in person. I could also do with a 2nd tripod to put the camera on instead of using the roof of my car...... next time :)

I conducted 3 tests, one at 15 feet, one at 105 feet and one at 189 feet (to the wooden trailer).

I used auto white balance on all shots using a Nikon 6.0MP D70 with a Sigma 18-50 lens.

Lights tested where all the LED flashlights I currently own (I plan to do another test once I've bought some more lights :sssh: )

The lights where:

-EagleTac D25LC2 on Turbo - 343 lumen OTF running on 2 x CR123A
-Klarus NT20 on High - 280 lumen ANSI FL1 running on 2 x CR123A
-Maglite 6D with TTS (The Torch Site) 200 lumen (LED) XP-G R5 drop in running on 6 x Duracell Procell D cells
-Maglite 3D with TTS (The Torch Site) 180 lumen (LED) XPE drop in running on 3 x Duracell Procell D cells
-Maglite MagCharger with standard bi-pin bulb and 6v NiCd pack*
-Mini Maglite (AA) with a TerraLUX MiniStar2 Ex 140 lumen (LED) drop in running on 2 x lithium primaries
-Mini Maglite (AAA) with an eBay bought 18 lumen (LED) drop in running on 2 x AAA Eneloops
-Tesco CREE (2D), this looks to be running an XPE LED no other info, running on 2 x Duracell D cells
-Tesco CREE (AA), this looks to be running an XPE LED no other info, running on 2 x AA Eneloops
-True Utility Maxilite TU80 with 21 LEDs (each rated at 5 lumen) running on 3 x AAA Eneloops
-PremierLight PL-B Compass with 5 LEDs - 25 lumen (LED) running on 3 x AAA Eneloops
-Unbranded SK68 CREE unknown lumens running on 1 x AA Eneloop

*The MagCharger was not at full charge as my power adapter had broken, it was charged about 7-10 days prior so was not performing at peak efficient, even for a stock incan Maglite

TorchTest15Feb2012.jpg

Test 1 - 15 feet
Control-small.jpg

EagleTacD25LC2-small.jpg

Maglite6DTTSXPGR5-small.jpg

MiniMagliteAAMiniStar2Ex-small.jpg

TescoCREEDD-small.jpg

KlarusNT20-small.jpg

Maglite3DTTSXPE-small.jpg

sk68flood-small.jpg

MagCharger-small.jpg

TescoCREEAA-small.jpg

TrueUtilityTu80-small.jpg

sk68zoom-small.jpg

MiniMagliteAAA-small.jpg

PremierLight-small.jpg

Test 2 - 105 feet
Control-small.jpg

EagleTacD25LC2-small.jpg

KlarusNT20-small.jpg

TescoCREEDD-small.jpg

sk68flood-small.jpg

MagCharger-small.jpg

TescoCREEAA-small.jpg

sk68zoom-small.jpg

Test 3 - 189 feet (to the wooden trailer)
EagleTacD25LC2-small.jpg

KlarusNT20-small.jpg

TescoCREEDD-small.jpg

sk68zoom-small.jpg

MagCharger-small.jpg

TescoCREEAA-small.jpg

Conclusion & Notes

The EagleTac and Klarus are in a different league to the other lights, you don't appreciate how much light they pump out when you use them in semi light areas (e.g. where there are street lights), in the dark farm yard you truly could see how much smooth light they put out in terms of flood with decent range and throw. A true wall of light considering their compact size.

The D cell Maglites are actually far better in person than the pics might suggest, they offer very usable spill that is far brighter and with better range than the photos portray. This is true of the Tesco CREE 2D as well.

In terms of throw the two D cell Maglites and 2D Tesco CREE are still kings of my collection. They can all pick up objects across the fields that both the EagleTac D25LC2 and Klarus NT20 couldn't. I didn't get any pictures of this as I simply couldn't get a satisfactory exposure. Ultimately the 180 lumen XPE with it's tight hot spot seemed to throw the furthest picking out trees in the distant hedgerow better than any of the others.

Last edited: